Police Confirm 8 Dead As Gunmen Attack Village In Nasarawa

The Police in Nasarawa have confirmed the death of eight persons as suspected gunmen attacked Duduguru village in Jenkwe development area of Nasarawa.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Cornelius Ocholi (ASP), told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lafia on Friday that trouble started on Tuesday when armed men suspected to be herdsmen, invaded the area killing two persons.
He said the situation was brought under control following the prompt response of security agents deployed to the area.
Ocholi added that the situation took a different dimension on Thursday as the suspected assailants, numbering more than 100 invaded another part of the village and shot dead eight persons, burnt down houses and farm produce.
He said the situation had been brought under control as more security men had been deployed to the area to secure it.
Ocholi could not confirm the number of arrest made.
“As we speak, more than 10 patrol vehicles have been deployed to the area for surveillance and about 100 mobile policemen from the mobile unit in Akwanga have been drafted to restore peace in the area.
Ocholi said the state police commissioner, Abayomi Akeremale, accompanied Gov. Umaru Almakura and other security chiefs in the state to the area on Thursday for an on-the-spot assessment of the crisis.
- NAN

Articles by writers are their opinions only and do not represent the opinions of Y! or YNaija.