A washerman, Henry Nnamdi, has allegedly killed his one-year-old son, Chukwuebuka, in order to spite his wife, whom he accused of having an extra-marital affair. Henry also used a hot pressing iron to burn his wife, Mercy, and stabbed her repeatedly in order to force her to confess to the allegation.
A baby has had four of the six legs he was born with successfully removed, surgeons have announced.
The little boy, born in Sukkur, a city in Sindh Province earlier this month, underwent eight hours of surgery at Pakistan’s National Institute of Child Health (NICH), in Karachi.
On Thursday Dr Jamal Raza announced the operation had been a success. He told a press conference the extra limbs had been the result of a genetic disease which affects just one in a million babies.
There had been speculation the child’s condition was due to the presence of a conjoined twin.
The youngster was taken into the hospital’s care after his poverty-stricken father Imran Sheikh appealed for help.
Following the surgery, Mr Sheikh told the media: “We are a poor family. I am thankful to the government for helping us treating my baby.”
- Huffington Post
On the heels of the release of his acclaimed mixtape ‘Illegal Music 2′, rapper M.I. Abaga has inked an endorsement deal with, er, Chipita Nigeria Limited, a Greek consortium which produces confectioneries and baked goods. Consequently, Mr Incredible has been unveiled (at a ceremony which took place recently in the Jazmine Hall of the prestigious Eko Hotel & Suites) as the face of the company’s first entry into the Nigerian snacks market, 7Days Croissant, and his crossover jam ‘Seven Days’ will henceforth feature prominently in the product’s advertising campaign.
According to BusinessDay Online, 7Days Croissant is a “ tasty snack made up of fresh fluffy dough that conceals a creamy heart of exquisite chocolate, vanilla or strawberry filling” and is being marketed as a nourishing supplement. We don’t see the connection, but perhaps that’s one of the things a good song title can do.
Nigeria may get its first female Chief Justice when the current occupant of the office, Justcie Dahiru Musdapher, quits office on July 14, 2012.
There were indications that Justice Mariam Alooma Mukhtar, who is the most senior Justice of the Superme Court, may succeed Musdapher.
In fact, it was learnt that the outgoing CJN may have recommended her to succeed him.
If it works out, she will be the first female CJN in Nigeria.
This will be major boost for interests campaigning for women to occupy sensitive positions.
She recently rejected an her nomination as the Chief Judge of The Gambia, perhaps in anticipation of her being made Nigeria’s first female CJN.
Mukhtar, who hails from Kano State, is the first female Justice of the Supreme Court.
She was born in 1944 and was called to the Nigerian Bar on June 26, 1967.
profile on the website of the Supreme Court also reads,
“She was called to the English Bar in 1966 and later called to the Nigerian Bar in June 1967.
A thorough Legal Professional, Hon. Justice A.M Muktar had served as:
Pupil State Counsel, Ministry of Justice, Northern Nigeria (1967)
Draftsman, Office of the Legal Draftsman, Interim Common Service Agency
Magistrate Grade I, North Eastern Government (1969 – 1973)
Chief Registrar, Kano State Government Judiciary (1973 – 1977)
Judge – High Court of Kano State (1977)
Justice – Court of Appeal (1987)
Presiding Justice – Court of Appeal (1993 – 2005)
A Life Member of the International Association of Women Lawyers, Hon. Justice Aloma Mariam Muktar has been a Justice of the Supreme Court (JSC) since 2005.”
African pop giant and former Mo’hits boss Dapo ‘D’banj’ Oyebanjo has signed withMercury Records, an imprint in the UK under the Mercury Records Group ofUniversal Music UK.
Mercury Records is a record label operating as a standalone company in the UK and as part of the The Island Def Jam Music Group in the US; both are subsidiaries ofUniversal Music Group.
Mercury Records lists D’banj on their official website as one of their acts alongside the likes of UK rock singer-songwriter Elton John, Soft Rock singer Taylor Swift Irish rock group U2, former The Beatles musician Paul McCartney and others.
Although his publicist and management are yet to respond to our E-mails concerning the signing, D’banj seems to have confirmed the news himself as he has updated the bio section profile on his Twitter page.
D’banj has also launched his personal website www.dbanjofficial.com where the Mecury Records logo boldly appears in the bottom right corner.
The new bio reads ‘DB/Good Music/ Mercury/IDJ’ (IDJ meaning Island Def Jam). When asked by a fan on Twitter what ‘IDJ’ means, he responded ‘island Def Jam bro’.
D’banj is however not listed on the G.O.O.D Music/Def Jam official roaster on the label’s website.
The Rivers State police command said a loud blast heard in Port Harcourt earlier today was that of a missile accidentally fired from an airforce jet on routine maintenance at the Airforce mechanic hangar in Port Harcourt.
Commissioner of Police Mohammed Indabawa told Saharareporters that the missile hit an uncompleted building three kilometers from the scene of the accidental discharge. He said no death or injuries were reported.
Panicked residents had reported hearing a deafening explosion in Woji area of Port Harcourt around 7:30 AM.
A Bollywood actress was murdered by two fellow actors she ‘befriended on the set of her latest film’.
Meenakshi Thapa, 26, was kidnapped and beheaded last month by Amit Jaiswal and his lover Preeti Surin in an attempt to receive a ransom payment.
She had met the pair on the set of Madhur Bhandarkar’s yet-to-be-released film Heroine, where she had a bit-part role.
Thapa’s mother is believed to have paid 60,000 (£730) Rupees for her release, but never saw her daughter again.
A detective told The Telegraph: ‘They wanted to extort money from her family. They have confessed to the crime. She was strangled in a hotel and her body was hacked into pieces and thrown in a water tank.
‘They threw her head from a moving bus while traveling back to Mumbai.’
Mumbai crime branch policemen recovered the body from Surin’s house in Allahabad on Wednesday.
Jaiswal and Surin confessed the crime to the Mumbai Police after their arrest on Saturday night and said they were taken in by Thapa’s pretentious stories about her ‘affluent family’.
‘The accused believed that Thapa was from a wealthy family because her lifestyle, despite not landing a big film role, hid the fact that she actually came from a middle-class background.
They plotted to kidnap her for a ransom of 1,500,000 Rupees (£18,000) and kill her after the payment was made,’ a police officer said.
Thapa was a struggling actress who earlier played a minor role in last year’s horror film ’404′ and she appeared in some TV commercials.
Her Nepalese-origin family has settled in Dehradun some years ago. Like her, Jaiswal and Surin were struggling for a toehold in the film industry.
The duo lured Thapa to travel with them to Gorakhpur. There they held her hostage and called up her family demanding the ransom.
The police said they told Thapa’s mother that they would drug her daughter and make a pornographic film if she didn’t deposit the money in the victim’s account. They also took her debit card.
The mother deposited 60,000 Rupees in Thapa’s account, but that didn’t save her daughter.
A police officer said: ‘They returned to Mumbai from Allahabad by bus. On their way they threw out the bag.’
In the meantime, Thapa’s brother registered a complaint with the police in Dehradun on March 17 about his missing sister. The Mumbai Police were promptly alerted.
Meenakshi was kidnapped and brutally beheaded last month by two aspiring actors she befriended on the sets of Madhur Bhandarkar’s yet-to-be-released film Heroine, where she did a bit role
In Mumbai, the killers thought they had done away with all evidence but for one slip. Jaiswal still had Thapa’s mobile phone SIM cards.
These led the police to the duo hiding in suburban Bandra.
‘They confessed to the crime, but couldn’t tell us exactly where they threw away the head during their journey from Allahabad to Mumbai,’ a police officer said. Jaiswal, 36, and Surin, who is 10 years younger, were originally from Allahabad.
- Daily Mail
Following the threats made by northern leaders yesterday about their readiness to break up, Afenifere Leader, Dr. Reuben Fasoranti, has cautioned the Northern leaders against their threat that the North is not afraid of the breaking of Nigeria.
A leader of the Arewa Elders Forum, Prof. Ango Abdulahi, on Wednesday said the North was prepared to go alone if the nation breaks up, adding that the North would not, however, champion the disintegration of the country.
Fasoranti told our correspondent in an interview in Akure that the news came to him as a shock.
He said, “I strongly appeal to the Northern leaders against such move because it would never be in their interest.
“They obviously don’t know the implication of such action and they should better don’t take a hasty decision they would forever live to regret.
“They would definitely benefit better if they remain in the same federation with the south because their own resources are limited.
“Their natural resources cannot possibly sustain them so they should not take any hasty decison because of the prevailing circumstance.”
The Arewa Consultant Forum, the umbrella body for the North, however, remained evasive regarding the position of Abdullahi, preferring to tacitly endorsing a united Nigeria.
ACF National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Anthony Sani, said on Thursday. “Professor Ango Abdullahi merely echoed what has been said several times that the North is committed to a united Nigeria in diversity not out of fear that the region cannot exist without oil but because of our deep and wide interdependence among constituent parts that make divorce impossible.
“Moreover, the size of the country is a huge advantage not just now but in future when the economy picks up. As result, the North would not be the cause of any contemplated break up.”
Ohanaeze Ndigbo dismissed Abdullahi’s threat, describing his submission as pointless.
The Deputy President General of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Chief Gary Igariwey, said, “We cannot react to such threats. Anybody could come from anywhere to make threats of breakup or secession, so it’s pointless reacting to such.”
He added, “There are so many groups now seeking attention, but there are those we recognise, like the Arewa Consultative Forum.
“Even if it comes from the Arewa Consultative Forum, it must come from the right people in the group, not just anybody.”
Coordinator of the Federation of Middle Belt Peoples, Mr. Manasseh Watyil, distanced the zone from the position of the Northern leaders.
Watyil said, “Who are the Northerners? We better distinguish between the owners of the North. If they want Nigeria to break that mean they are going back to where they came from. That will not affect the Middle Belt; they are free to go.
He added, “It is because of these challenges that the Middle Belt is calling for true federalism or Sovereign National Conference if we will stay together.”
A member of the Ulam council in Plateau State, Mallam Sani Muazu, however lamented the penchant for people or group to claim that they were speaking for the North.
He said there was nothing called one monolithic North, adding that there were no issues that could warrant any breakup of the country. Muazu said what united the country was more than what could divide it.
- Nigerian Eye
A foreign agency report on Thursday, quoting an unnamed top security
official, says the government has opened a secret centre in Lagos “to
hold and interrogate suspected high-level” members of the violent
Islamic sect. “The prison is in Lagos, far from the violence plaguing
the country’s predominantly Muslim north, where Boko Haram carries out
frequent bombings and ambushes,” the American Associated Press reports
quotes the top security official as said. The source is said to be
involved in the detention centre project. But the Federal Government on
Thursday denied any move to create such a facility in Lagos. Minister of
Interior, Abba Moro, told our correspondent on telephone that the
government had no such plan, adding that the counter-terror strategy of
the government did not include such a facility. He said, “To the best of
my knowledge, there is no such. The prisons in Lagos are full already
and we are not contemplating any movement of terror suspects to
anywhere.” The Nigerian Prisons Service also said it was not aware of
any plan to move Boko Haram suspects to prisons in Lagos.
Detectives at the State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Panti, Yaba, Lagos, are currently trying to arrest the culprit behind the alleged raping of a 20-month old pupil of a school at Egbeda, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria.
A doctor’s report confirming penetration of the girl’s private part has been submitted to the police by parents of the pupil to aid their investigation.
A close examination of the girl’s private part, as shown in a picture taken by the parents, revealed blood in it, suggesting that she must have been violated. But what is not clear is who actually carried out the dastardly act.
According to the parents of the victim, the girl was violated inside the school before the close of work on 16 February, 2012.
According to the victim’s mother, “I took my child to the school that fateful day and at the close of school, I went there to pick her but I noticed that she was walking awkwardly. I drew her Aunty’s (teacher) attention to this and she assured me that there was nothing wrong. My little girl was constantly pointing to her vagina. So, I lifted up her uniform and discovered that her pant had been removed. I also examined her vagina and discovered blood there.
“When I demanded explanation, her teacher told me that she also observed blood coming out of her vagina and that she removed her pant and washed it. I learnt that they took my child to the school nurse who, after a close examination, explained that the child must have contracted a disease in the toilet and that there was nothing to worry about.
“The matter was reported to the school proprietor, Mr. Uzoigwe and his wife, Mrs. Uzoigwe who also attributed the child’s condition to an infection from the toilet.
“I was shocked by this discovery and I phoned my husband, a naval personnel. On his arrival, we took the girl to Estate Clinic where she was examined by a doctor who confirmed that the girl had been violated. He referred us to the General Hospital, Igando. There, the doctor who examined her also confirmed that the girl had been violated. He advised us to go for AIDS test.
“After these confirmations we reported the matter to the police at Mosalasi and the proprietor and his wife were arrested. Also arrested were the class teacher, head teacher, cleaner and the gateman. They were asked to write a statement on what they knew about the incident. They were released on the second day after being granted bail.”
After investigation by policemen at Mosalasi Station, the matter was transferred to the SCID, Panti where the accused persons were also made to say all they knew about the incident.
A police source at the SCID revealed that the police had forwarded the case file of the incident to the Director of Public Prosecution for advice.
Attempt to confirm this at the DPP’s office at Alausa was unsuccessful as an official there refused to confirm whether or not they had received the case file.
When contacted on phone, the wife of the proprietor of the school, Mrs. Uzoigwe denied that the girl was raped in the school.
“God forbid. None of my staff raped any girl. The matter is now with the police at the SCID. If you want any information, you can contact the SCID. I have made a statement to the police and that is all I can say for the time being. If you want any information, contact the police. Everything you want to know about the matter is with them,” she said .
A doctor at the Estate Clinic, Egbeda, who examined the little girl, confirmed that he saw blood in her private part when he examined her, adding that he had forwarded his report to the SCID for further investigation.
The general investigating officer at the SCID, Panti, described the situation as pathetic.
He assured that the police will get to the root of the matter.
- Nigerian Eye