The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
A Laguna Hill, CA pastor has been found guilty of sexual assault, today. The pastor’s victims were five young boys who he is reported to have molested in his apartment at Lake Forest.
Oscar D. Perez Perez, who many believed was also a Bishop was convicted of 22 felony counts of lewd acts upon a child below the age of 14 and four felony counts of lewd acts on a minor. The prosecutor also charged that he should have an imposed enhancement to his sentence for lewd acts perpetrated on multiple victims.
The 69 year old predator is facing a maximum sentence of 330 years to life in a state penitentiary. When he is sentenced, he is also facing mandatory lifetime sex offender registration.
Perez was known as a Bishop and Apostolic pastor at Iglesia Antigua which was a church that rented some space in the building that housed George’s Episcopalian Church in Laguna Hills.
Perez is reported to have met his five victims at the church and infiltrated their lives by becoming a family friend. He created opportunities to be with the boys by soliciting their help with church services.
From 2007 all the way up until 2011, the five boys would go to Perez’s apartment to visit or to spend the night. The boys, who vary in age from 9 to 15, were all molested during one of their day or overnight visits. All the boys were molested one or more times.
The boys were victimized in various ways including kissing and hugging as well as being sodomized. The predator also engaged the boys in oral copulation, sexual penetration and touching the boys’ penis and buttocks.
Tenika Revell was arrested on manslaughter and murder charges after beating her 7-year-old son to death. Cancer-stricken Revell allegedly loved her son so much that she did not want anyone else to raise him, so she bludgeoned the child to death in the head with a hammer.
Terrace Johnson, boyfriend of Revell and father figure to young Bernard said that Revell’s behavior had became more erratic in the last year after her rapidly spreading cancer forced her to abort her pregnancy. Revell has 30 prior arrests under her belt as well as some prison time for prostitution and burglary. Johnson says that Revell called her mother to inform her that she had killed her child and planned on killing herself. She loved him so much she didn’t want nobody else to have him. She didn’t want her mother or none of them to get Bernard,” said Johnson, who raised Bernard like a son from the time that Bernard was an infant.
Revell called the police to tell them that she had killed her son and was going to overdose to kill herself. The police arrived at the Bedford- Stuyvesant home to find Bernard unresponsive in his bed. The child was pronounced dead at the scene.
A woman accused of killing her son after she rolled on him in her sleep has died.
Toni Medrano, 29, of Cottage Grove, Minn., died Saturday at Regions Hospital in St. Paul after she was hospitalized after setting herself on fire.Medrano allegedly set herself on fire in her mother’s backyard on July 2. Police said she was “despondent and suicidal over personal issues.”
Medrano was charged last month with two counts of manslaughter in the death of her son, Adrian Alexander Medrano, who was born Nov. 1. The infant died of asphyxia Nov. 22 after authorities say that Medrano had been drinking before falling asleep on him.
Medrano’s suicide comes less than one month after she was blasted as a horrible mother on a segment of the “Nancy Grace” show The woman was publicly ridiculed and was dubbed “Vodka Mom.”
During the segment, Nancy Grace demonstrated the number of drinks in a fifth of vodka. She also reported that Medrano had several DUIs and a heavy drinking problem.
Medrano admitted to drinking a fifth of vodka in the hours before her son died, according to the criminal complaint. A preliminary blood alcohol concentration test administered by police recorded Medrano at 0.11 grams per decliter. The legal limit for driving is 0.08.
The Federal Road Safety Commission says it has so far recovered 95 burnt bodies from the Okobe tanker crash scene in Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers State.
Kayode Olagunju, the FRSC sector commander in Rivers said, in an update on his Facebook page, that 93 of the victims died on the spot while two died on the way to hospital.
Eighteen others were seriously injured.
The fuel tanker had fallen on Thursday morning on the Ahoda-Mbiama Road on the East-West Road. It burst into flames as villagers scooped fuel.
In a first information report on the incident, Mr. Olagunju said the incident occurred at about 6.30 a.m. after a tanker laden with petrol crashed into three other vehicles – a Toyota Corolla, a Hummer bus and a Mitshibushi bus.
The four vehicles and 34 motorcycles were burnt.
Villagers then trooped to the scene to scoop fuel. The fuel tanker exploded shortly afterwards, burning scores beyond recognition.
“The fire is still raging hence the exact number of victims not yet ascertained,” Mr. Olagunju had said. “Casualty figures definitely high as many were dead.”
About 20 injured persons were immediately taken to hospitals as the FRSC, the police, fire service and personnel of the Joint Task Force raced to the scene for rescue operation.
fro Juju veteran Sir Shina Peters has announced he will soon set up a music school for those who want to empower themselves as musicians.
In an interview with HipTv, Peters explained ‘I want people to tap from my experience, how I created Afro Juju. So I’m trying to build a school, a music school you know. This is the academic aspect of my profession’, the 54-year-old said.
And on the structure of school fees, in an environment where every form of good education comes at premium cost, the singer says it will be ‘affordable’.
The new Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Mr. Andrew Yakubu, on Friday promised that under his leadership, the activities of the oil firm would be open and transparent.
Addressing State House correspondents after a meeting at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, Yakubu said he was aware of the criticism and observations by stakeholders on the activities of the firm before he came on board and was ready to work on them.
While describing his appointment as a call to service, the new NNPC boss promised to work hard to reposition the firm to support the growth of the nation’s economy.
He said, “It is a call to service. The NNPC is the mainstay of the nation’s economy. We must reposition the corporation for better service and to support the economy. We will strive very hard to work with the Nigerian public and all the stakeholders.
“We shall be transparent and responsible. We will work towards changing the perception. NNPC workers are dedicated to service, they are professional, and there are areas of improvement that we can bring to bear.”
On the Petroleum Industry Bill, Yakubu said since the bill was supposed to cut across the oil and gas industry, the NNPC was ready to make its input.
President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday re-composed the board of the NNPC and named Yakubu as replacement for the erstwhile GMD, Mr. Austen Oniwon.
- The Punch
Students of the Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun, Delta State, have maintained that their reaction to the ‘strange’ visitors to their school last week was due to the security situation in the state.
The police and state tax officials that visited the school last week to arrest the chief accountant for non-remission of taxes had complained of assault by the students.
The Chief Security Officer of the school had reportedly mobilised the students, who locked all exits from the institution against the law enforcement agents.
But in a response by the National Association of Nigerian Students, the body condemned the action of the police, noting that the officers acted crudely, considering the rampant cases of kidnapping in the state.
NANS Zone B Coordinator, Chinonso Obasi, noted that Nigerian students in PTI did not take any policeman or tax officer hostage as alleged, but were only reacting to an unusual situation.
“Considering the security situation in the country and the series of kidnapping that had been taking place in the institute lately, security personnel, students and staff are always on the alert against any recurrence that could pose a threat to life and property in the institute,” noted NANS.
The students said that a top management employee of the school had been seized earlier this month, using the same tactics.
“On June 10, 2012, a management staff member of the institute was kidnapped by persons who impersonated police officers and took him away in a vehicle with government’s official number plate. He was later released on June 14 in Bayelsa State,” explained the student body.
- The Punch
The Chancellor Covenant University (CU), Otta, Ogun State, Dr. David Oyedepo, has called for a complete overhaul of the nation’s security system against those he called ‘religious bigots’ scheming to Islamise Nigeria through repeated attacks on churches.
Oyedepo also urged the Federal Government to be more committed to the insecurity problem, failure of which he noted, may lead to disintegration.
“I want to believe that what we have on our hands today is an Islamisiation agenda being propagated and sponsored by some religious bigots who are poised for war, and if government does not decisively stem down this tide, Nigeria may cease to be a nation,” Oyedepo warned.
In his address themed: Towards the rescue of a nation on the brink of collapse: Necessity for a new generation of thinkers, delivered at the seventh convocation of Covenant University held at the university premises yesterday, Oyedepo said consistent attacks by the dreaded Islamic sect, Boko Haram (Western education is forbidden) leaves much suspicion in its trail. He noted that if Boko Haram members are agitating for their rights as they claim, government institutions rather that churches should have been their targets.
“Now let us think: If Boko Haram, as claimed by some of their symphatisers, is fighting the government for its rights, the question is, is it the church that is depriving them of such rights? If the bombs in the North are just reactions to class oppression or poverty in the nation, why are mosques exempted from bombs?”
He continued: “Did the militants in the South South, during their struggle, ever attacked worshippers in the mosque on Fridays? A lot of political hypocrisy must be going on here. Are there no Muslins in the West, South and East of Nigeria? Why are they not shooting at people in churches who gather for worship? Why are they not throwing bombs at Christians? I believe some individuals are simply without any other mission other than breaking Nigeria.”
- Nigerian Eye
Nigerian rapper Yetunde Alabi better known as Sasha has been named as an Olympic Torch bearer at the forthcoming London Olympic games 2012.
On July 1, 2012 which makes the 44th day of the 80 day on-going Olympic relay, Sasha will carry the torch in Birmingham UK for the stipulated 300 meters.
The Olympic torch relay which kicked off on May 19, 2012 when the first torch was lit by England football player David Beckham will end on July 27, 2012 marking the beginning of the Summer Olympics UK 2012.
‘I am so excited to be a part of this history, when I was notified that I had been selected in March I couldn’t stop smiling but I wasn’t allowed to share the information yet, it is a great honor and an opportunity I will not take for granted, God is truly amazing!’, the Strom Records artiste says.
Sasha will be joining the likes of ex-Nigerian International footballer Kanu Nwankwo, singer Banky W, actress Funke Akindele, Wazobia FM OAP Steve ‘Yaw’ Onu and four other Nigerian representatives.
arely a week after the General Overseer (G.O) of the Household of God announced an end to his four-year-old marriage with his wife, reports say that he is planing to remarry in December.
Okotie, who broke up with his wife due to irreconcilable differences, said that he fell for his estranged wife based on her physical looks without considering other important virtues.
But it will be recalled that in 2008, Okotie had said that the Holy Spirit revealed to him that Stephanie was his wife. The 42-year-old woman, who was a divorcee at that time, was declared by the Pastor as not being married before
“There is a difference between a man abandoned by his wife and the one that divorces. The only thing that breaks a relationship is a divorce and even when there’s a divorce, the Bible says you can re-marry,” he said at the time.
He was also said to have told his congregation on their first Sunday as a couple that God was going to bless them with a set of twins.
The Household of God G.O has once again reiterated that God has told him to remarry for the third time, as he said that everyone needed a companion and it wasn’t right for a man to be alone.
- Daily Times