The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
South Korea plans to chemically castrate a sex offender convicted of repeated crimes against children. This is the first time the country would use the punishment.
The 45-year-old man will get an injection Friday that lowers testosterone-producing hormones and aims to inhibit sexual impulses, Justice Ministry officials said on condition of anonymity citing department rules.
South Korea passed a law in 2010 allowing judges or a Justice Ministry panel the option of ordering chemical castration after a series of violent sexual assaults on children sparked public outrage.
The man to be castrated this week was convicted four times between 1984 and 2002 of raping or sexually molesting girls under the ages of 13, the ministry said in a separate statement. A psychiatric test has concluded the man is a pedophile and needs medication, the officials said.
He will be released from prison in July under the condition that he receive injections every three months for three years, according to the ministry.
Under the law, those who refuse or miss an injection could be returned to prison for up to seven years.
Other countries also have been moving ahead with laws allowing chemical castration for sex offenders.
Russian lawmakers in October gave first-round approval to a bill that would impose chemical castration on repeat sex offenders. Poland legalized the procedure in 2009 for offenders who rape minors or close relatives.
Already, Britain, Denmark and Sweden offer chemical castration drugs to sex offenders on a voluntary basis. In the United States, several states have laws allowing chemical castration.
Shock and disbelieve could best describe the expression on the faces of residents of Alagbado area of Lagos State last week, following the startling discovery that one of their neighbours, Mr Abraham Olaniyan, sold his day-old baby to an Anambra State business woman for N350,000.
Before the arrest, sympathizers and close relatives of the Olaniyans had thronged their apartment to console them on the death of their baby.
Report said the suspect’s wife, Mrs Nkechi Olaniyan was pregnant for the fifth child. But the family had been going through financial difficulty which led to the suspect’s inability to care for his immediate family. On the day of delivery, the suspect, a bricklayer, reportedly took his wife to a private hospital around Alagbado where she was delivered of a baby boy.
When Mrs. Olaniyan regained consciousness, an hour after the delivery, she was informed that her baby had died. She demanded severally to see the remains of her baby, only to be told that he had been buried already.
Suspecting a foul play, she contacted the police and expressed fears that the purported story of her dead child was shrouded in unfathomable circumstance. The Police immediately arrested the husband, a development that initially sparked up reactions from different quarters.
But preliminary investigation, according to Police sources, revealed that the 26-year-old father allegedly connived with some medical staff to sell the baby, following his inability to cater for him and his siblings. According to the sources, “we arrested the man based on his wife’s disclosure that he had one time threatened to sell one of their children.
She said when she was pregnant, her husband asked her to terminate the pregnancy because of their financial state but claimed she refused. So, after she regained consciousness and was told the baby had died, she insisted on seeing the corpse and when they did not, she concluded her husband could have made do his treat.
“At first, her husband denied. But he later confessed that he sold the baby for N350,000 to a woman in Anambra State who had been been looking for the fruit of the womb for fifteen years. His confessional statement led to the arrest of the doctor of the hospital and two nurses, who during interrogation, said that the man gave them his consent and that the woman was aware of the whole plan”
The woman was anesthetized immediately she put to bed, apparently to prevent her from knowing when the illicit transaction would take place.
On how the business woman was arrested in far away Anambra, police sources said, “she was called on the phone by Abraham who said he wanted to see her. A place was booked for the meeting and when she showed up, we arrested her.”
Meanwhile, back in Onitsha, the apartment of the business woman simply identified as Rachael was agog with celebration. The joy between her and her husband over the arrival of their baby knew no bounds, owing to the several years of waiting for a child of their own. It could however not be ascertained whether she revealed the source of the baby’s arrival to her husband.
But their joy was short lived following her arrest two weeks after the purported arrival of their long awaited baby.
Popular Hong-Kong born actor Jackie Chan has come out to deny reports which made the rounds last week that he was retiring from action movies.
Jackie said he was surprised at the wrong perception gotten from his announcement when all he had said was that he would be limiting the amount of risky stunts he does in his movies.
“In my press conference in Cannes for Chinese 12 Zodiac, I had said that this movie was my last big action movie.”
“Today I was shocked when I woke up to read all the news coverage that I was retiring from doing action movies.”
“I just want everyone to know that I am not retiring from doing action movies. What I meant to say is that I need to do less of the life risking stunts on my movies. After all these years of doing so many stunts and breaking so many bones, I need to take better care of my body so I can keep working.”
United States President, Mr. Barrack Obama has been warned over the proposal of the United States Justice Department to designate Boko Haram a foreign terror group.
In a letter addressed to Ms. Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, at the beginning of the week, 20 American scholars with a special interest in Nigeria and broad expertise on African politics warned the United States government not to categorise Boko Haram as a foreign terrorist organisation.
The scholars, drawn from various universities across US, said that such designation would internationalise the Boko Haram menace and enhance its profile among Al-Qaeda and other global militant groups.
They wrote that “Boko Haram’s recent tactics, including the use of suicide bombers and improvised explosive devices, raise questions about their foreign links.”
“The network’s focus has been overwhelmingly domestic, despite an August 2011 attack on the United Nations office in Abuja.”
South African president Jacob Zuma is ticked off about a portrait showing his “manhood” saying it denigrates him and makes a mockery of his office. The painting, entitled, “The Spear,” was painted by Brett Murray, who is white, and shows Jacob Zuma standing in a defiant pose with his penis and scrotum clearly visible.
The painting is called “The Spear,” but there is no spear in the painting, so one can only conclude the title is a phallic reference. Jacob Zuma isn’t taking this lying down. He is launching a court case this week in which he argues that the painting “violates his right to dignity.”
Zuma states in a legal affidavit: “The continued display of the portrait is manifestly serious and has the effect of impugning my dignity in the eyes of all who see it. In particular, the portrait depicts me in a manner that suggests that I am a philanderer, a womaniser and one with no respect. It is an undignified depiction of my personality and seeks to create doubt about my personality in the eyes of my fellow citizens, family and children. ”In terms of the theme of the exhibition, my portrait is meant to convey a message that I am an abuser of power, corrupt and suffer political ineptness.”
At more than $3,600 per square foot, it’d be pricey even by the pricey standards of Manhattan apartments. But you can’t live here, unless you drive an RV. A private garage measuring 12 by 23 feet is set to go on sale this fall for a cool $1 million, making it the city’s first seven-figure parking spot. So what makes this parking space worth six times more than a typical family home?
“It’s for someone who wants complete privacy,” Prudential Douglas Elliman Vice Chairman Dolly Lenz, told the Post. With a curb cut at the street and a private entrance to the building, you can go in and out virtually undetected — perfect for celebrities and camera shy moguls. The spot is only big enough for one car but can be “duplexed” to fit two if the buyer installs a car elevator. Because what’s a few thousand dollars when you’re already throwing down a million? The space is expected to go to one of the residents of the building, an eight-story prewar loft that is currently being converted into six luxury condominiums. But the parking spot isn’t the only perk of shacking up in this not-so-humble abode. The building will also feature showers that spray water laced with vitamin C and aloe and intelligent lighting systems that provide residents with a better night’s rest.
US phone maker Motorola has become Google’s latest and biggest acquisition to date.
The purchase of Motorola for $12.5billion allows Google to enter into the manufacture of mobile phones and tablets for the first time.
The move also gives Google access to Motorola’s over 17,000 valuable patents.
The Internet giant has hit the ground running by naming a new management team for the phone handset maker.
Tokyo’s biggest new landmark, the 2080-foot Tokyo Sky Tree tower, has opened to the public. With its opening, it’s now officially recognised by Guinness World Records as the tallest tower, beating out the Carlton Tower in China which is 1968 ½ feet.
The world’s tallest structure is Dubai’s Burg Khalifa, which stands 2,717 feet. That’s in a different category because it’s a skyscraper, not a tower.
The Tokyo Sky Tree tower will serve as a broadcast tower for television and radio along with being a tourist attraction.
Rihanna’s revealing style may leave little to the imagination. But if there’s one fellow diva the 24-year-old singer can count on for support when it comes to her overt attire, it’s Cher.
The Burlesque star took to Twitter Friday defending Rihanna with a sharp message for her fashion critics.
Cher’s tweet came just hours after Celebuzz called out the “Rude Boy” singer on twitter over her risque two-piece white crochet ensemble she wore to a restaurant in Los Angeles’ Thursday evening.
But Celebuzz got a shocking response from Rihanna.
Cher isn’t the only one to defend Rihanna.
Last week Ebony ran an in depth piece calling out Chris Brown, Drake and other R&B singers for taunting the singer over her “sexual escapades”.
- Huffington Post
A tenant of No. 4 Ojoh Lane, Olayinka St., Ajegunle, Lagos, Uzazor Imomiero, on Friday appeared before an Ebute Meta Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly cutting off the fore finger of a co-tenant.
Imomiero (23) is facing trial on a two-count charge of causing grievous bodily harm.
The accused pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The prosecutor, Cpl. Emmanuel Ajayi, told the court that Imomiero cut off the fore finger of one Ms Christiana Chimezie, during a scuffle.
“Imomiero used a knife to cut off the finger of Chimezie, while fighting over who will be the first to fetch water from a well,’’ Ajayi said.
He said that the incident happened on May 4, at about 10 a.m. at their residence in Ajegunle.
Ajayi said that the offence contravened Sections 243 and 410 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Lagos State, 2003.
Magistrate Kemi Doja-Ojo granted the defendant bail in the sum of N100,000, with two sureties in like sum.
Doja-Ojo ordered that the sum should be deposited into the account of the Chief Registrar of the court.