The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
Contrary to some recent media reports, the Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has not said that the country is broke or that that there is a risk of economic failure.
In fact, the 2012 budget which has just been passed by both chambers of the National Assembly and signed into law by President Goodluck Jonathan confirms that resources are robust to take care of the country’s economic priorities.
Rather than predict economic doom, Dr Okonjo-Iweala had underscored an important point during a forum with civil society groups: we need to be prudent during this period of high oil prices so that in the event of lower prices, the country will have enough of a cushion to maintain the pace and level of government business.
In other words, the country needs to prioritise prudence in the management of resources.
This is, of course, an important point which most Nigerians would agree with.
Gunmen, suspected to be members of the deadly Boko haram sect, shot dead two men near a community centre showing soccer matches in northern Nigeria, days after the Islamist group reportedly called for such places to be closed, residents said Friday.
The killing late Thursday in Potiskum came three days after leaflets, said to be from Boko Haram, were circulated there warning people to stay away from such viewing centres, forcing some to shut down, residents told AFP.
It was not clear why the Islamists would seek their closure since such centres in the country’s mainly Muslim north typically do not serve alcohol.
“Two gunmen knocked on the door of one of the victims who lived next door from a soccer viewing centre in Roseline neighbourhood around 8:30 pm and shot him dead as soon as he stepped out of the house,” one resident said.
“The gunmen then turned and shot another person standing nearby listening to a group of soccer fans discussing previous … matches outside the soccer viewing centre.”
- Nigerian Eye
Power generation in the country has dropped below 2,000 megawatts due to system collapse at Egbin Power Station.
An official of the Ministry of Power, who pleaded anonymity,on Friday in Lagos , said that power supply had worsened in many states, especially in Lagos State.
The official said that this was due to the collapse of two units at the Egbin Power Station.
The low power generation had affected industrial, commercial and individual consumers who had complained of frequent outages in the last two months.
A source said the collapse of two units at the thermal station led to drop in power generation from 800 megawatts to below 400 megawatts on Thursday.
The source said none of the six units at the station was producing at installed capacity of 220 megawatts.
When contacted, Mr Mike Uzoigwe, the Chief Executive Officer, Egbin Power Station, confirmed that two units were down at the station on Thursday.
He, however, said that the two units had been re-activated and all the units were working effectively.
Prof. Barth Nnaji, the Minister of Power, had once confirmed a drop in the level of power generation.
The AU Friday condemned the coup attempt in Guinea Bissau, saying it will not accept any unconstitutional change of government.
In a statement issued in Addis Ababa, AU Commission Chairperson Jean Ping said the coup attempt could only abort the planned runoff, scheduled for April 29, hence is totally unacceptable to the AU.
The Chairperson of the Commission stresses that the AU will not accept any unconstitutional seizure of power and attempt at undermining the democratic process in Guinea Bissau,” the statement said.
The 54-member AU warned the military in Guinea Bissau to stop “the political assassination and unconstitutional changes of government”.
President Goodluck Jonathan has also condemned and rejected the on-going attempt by a segment of the military in Guinea-Bissau to subvert that country’s constitutional order.
This was contained in a statement issued on Friday by Dr Reuben Abati, the Special Adviser to the president on Media and Publicity.
Jonathan said Nigeria rejected the attempt to truncate the democratic process already initiated for the election of a successor to late President Bacai Sanha.
He urged the Guinea-Bissau Military High Command to refrain from any further action that “threatens the lives of the elected leaders of that country and the established democratic order”.
Jonathan also demanded the immediate release of all those being detained and the restoration of democratic rule and constitutional order.
- Nigerian Eye
A Nigerian man was arrested by the Malaysian police in Kuala Lumpur and extradited to Singapore on April 11 for a spate of Internet love scams.
The 32-year-old is believed to be involved in a series of love scam cases which were reported to the police last year.
He allegedly befriended female victims through online dating and social networking sites, and developed a ‘love’ relationship with them.
He would promise to visit Singapore and on the day of arrival, he would contact the victims and inform them that he had been detained at the checkpoint. He would then ask the victims to remit money to specified bank accounts to secure his release.
The suspect will be charged in court today and a court order will be sought to remand him for further investigations, said DAC Sam Tee, Commander Airport Police Division, who expressed his gratitude to the Malaysian police “for the excellent cooperation and assistance rendered to the Singapore Police in effecting the arrest”.
- Nigerian Eye
While in New York City raising campaign funds in January, President Barack Obama was asked at a restaurant what at first seemed like a simple question by The Atlantic magazine: “Kanye or Jay-Z?” — “Jay-Z,” Obama responded with “an easy smile.”
“Although I like Kanye,” Obama continued. “He’s a Chicago guy. Smart. He’s very talented.”
“Even though you called him a jackass?” the writer, David Samuels, asked, referring to when Obama called ‘Ye “a jackass” for his behaivor at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, in which he bum-rushed the stage while Taylor Swift** accepted the award for Best Female Video.
“He is a jackass,” Obama says. “But he’s talented.”
So, the Obamas love the Carters, and the reverse is true as well. On Wednesday (April 11), Mrs. Carter, Beyoncé**, posted a handwritten letter to First Lady Michelle Obama on her recently re-designed website. Check out what Bey’ wrote to Mrs. Obama.
After years of unwedded bliss, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have suddenly announced they’re engaged to be married.
“Yes, it’s confirmed,” Cynthia Pett-Dante, Pitt’s manager, told USA TODAY in a statement. “It is a promise for the future, and their kids are very happy. There’s no date set at this time.” And yes, she confirms that Pitt designed the ring.
Earlier, Beverly Hills jeweler Robert Procop confirmed to USA TODAY that he helped Pitt, 48, design a custom diamond engagement ring for Jolie, 36, with whom he has six children.
Hollywood’s platinum pair was spotted Wednesday night at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, where Jolie donned a massive diamond ring on her left ring finger.
“Brad had a specific vision for this ring, which he realized over a yearlong collaboration with Robert. He wanted every aspect of it to be perfect, so Robert was able to locate a diamond of the finest quality and cut it to an exact custom size and shape to suit Angelina’s hand,” Procop said in a statement. “Brad was always heavily involved, overseeing every aspect of the creative design evolution. The side diamonds are specially cut to encircle her finger. Each diamond is of the highest gem quality.”
- USA Today
Former Colombian finance minister Jose Antonio Ocampo is set to withdraw his nomination for the World Bank presidency on Friday as developing nations try to coalesce around one nominee to challenge the United States for the job, three sources said.
Nigerian Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala would remain as the sole candidate from developing nations in a race against U.S. nominee Jim Yong Kim, a Korean-American health expert who appears almost certain to win the post.
In a straw poll earlier this week, World Bank directors representing the Group of 11, which includes emerging countries and Australia, backed Okonjo-Iweala as the sole emerging market candidate, the sources said.
The decision to back Okonjo-Iweala does not mean that all developing countries will support her in the final decision on Monday when the World Bank board meets to find consensus on a successor to Robert Zoellick, who is departing in June.
Indeed, the promise of a united front from emerging markets evaporated on Friday when Russia said it would support Kim, becoming the first major emerging economy to do so.
“Taking into account Mr. Kim’s considerable professional qualities as well as his experience and knowledge, the Russian Federation will support the candidacy of Jim Yong Kim during the voting by the bank’s board of directors,” the Russian Finance Ministry said in a statement.
Abuja, April 13 — About 70,000 newborns in Nigeria are HIV positive, a top government official of the west African nation has revealed.
Director-General of the National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA) John Idoko disclosed this in Nigeria’s southwestern state of Ogun Thursday.
The official also said that HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria were prevalent among Nigerian pregnant women.
He stressed that NACA, the agency set up for curbing AIDS in the country, was ready to partner with the Ogun State government on preventive policy.
Idoko called for the improvement of the State Action Committee on AIDS (SACA) to be able to fight the spread of the scourge.
According to the official, the agency was willing to collaborate with any agency to improve the health status of the Nigerian people.
Idoko urged all levels of government to assist NACA in strengthening the fight against HIV/AIDS and other related diseases, saying that the agency would work hard to eliminate mother-to-child transmission.
Four children, including a one-year-old baby, lost their lives while 40 houses at Ebeberegbene community in Burutu Local Government Area, Delta State were burnt down when some members of the Joint Task Force, JTF, codenamed Operation Pulo Shield, attacked and razed illegal oil refining factories, in the community on Wednesday.
Sources disclosed that the soldiers arrived the community at 6.30 am, putting fire on houses in a bid to raze down the three local illegal refineries that were located near the community.
Chairman of the community, Mr. Pius Oruma, who confirmed the attack, said, “Over 40 houses were burnt.”
Another community leader, Mallam Yusuf Eregbene, said: “Over four people were feared dead while thousands fled into the bush for safety, as the soldiers prevented people from carrying their belongings…”
The Mallam noted that the community was not aware of the existence of the illegal oil refineries that soldiers came to destroy, saying: “If we were aware, we would have arrested the owners. The occupations of our people are fishing and farming…It was last two years that the community stopped this local refinery business in our territory. Since then, it was free from this illegal work because we have a law that when you are caught, you will pay a fine of N50, 000.This led to the stoppage of the business because the refineries are not good for the health of our people.”