The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
Nigeria’s economy has recorded an unprecedented growth last year as it has been named the third fastest growing economy in the word behind Mongolia and China.
Briefing State House correspondents after yesterday’s Federal Executive Council Meeting, Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, who was joined by the Minister of State for Finance, Dr. Yerima Ngama, said the growth in the economy was a clear indication that “there is a lot of confidence in the Nigerian economy.”
Ngama, who presented a report on the country’s presentation during the recently concluded Islamic Development Bank Congress in Khartoum, Sudan noted that the growth noticed in the non-oil sector was particularly impressive, adding that government would continue to work on improving the economy.
He stated: “Today in council, I presented a report on the presentation made at the 37th Annual General Meeting of the Islamic Development Bank, IDB. The bank has 56 member countries and at annual general meeting, each country is expected to present a report on the economic development in the country. The aim is to educate ourselves about what is happening in our countries.
In the case of Nigeria, our report was actually the best. For the year, for the quarter which ended on 31st December, 2011, only about 46 countries have actually submitted their data and Nigeria was third in terms of GDP growth. We recorded a GDP growth of 7.68 per cent in real terms and this is largely due to growth in the non-oil sector.
“The previous year, 2010, the GDP growth was 8.4 per cent but last year, it dropped to 7.68 per cent because we had a negative growth in the oil sector. So, it means that the non-oil sector is actually resilient and strong enough to carry the economy forward with or without the oil sector.
“This actually placed us as the third fastest growing economy in the world, the first being Mongolia with 14. 9 per cent real growth rate, then China with 8.4 per cent real GDP growth rate followed by Nigeria with 7.68 per cent.
“But the more important story out of it is that as a nation, we have our Vision 202020, we have the objective of having one of the world strongest economies by year 2020.
All the other countries, apart from China, that are ahead of Nigeria are growing at a slower rate than Nigeria. When those ahead of you are growing slower, it means that in the next eight years, we will achieve our objective of being one of the strongest economies in the world. As at last December, our total GDP was more that N10 trillion and that is a growth that is unprecedented despite our challenges.”
Explaining how this growth has impacted on the lives of the ordinary Nigerian people, the minister said the “standard of living has improved in Nigeria as a result of this growth. As at December, 2011, our income per capita grew from $1200 to $1400 and this actually moved us from low income countries to middle lower income countries per World Bank classification.”
The acting Inspector General of police, Mohammed Dahiru Abubakar has lost his mother, Hajiya Aishatu Abubakar. She died after a protracted illness. Hajiya Aisha Abubakar, it was learnt, died in a Cairo, Egypt hospital after a brief illness and will be buried today in Gusau, Zamfara State according to Islamic rites.
Happening 10 weeks after the death of his wife, Acting Inspector General of Police, Mr Mohammed Abubakar, Wednesday lost his mother.
Confirming the development in a condolence message by Presidential spokesman, Mr Reuben Abati, President Goodluck Jonathan described late Aisha Abubakar’s death as shocking, while commending her commitment to the welfare of the less‑privileged in her community.
Abati’s statement read in part: “President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has received with shock the news of the sudden death of the mother of the Acting Inspector‑General of Police, Hajiya Aisha B. Abubakar in a Cairo, Egypt hospital today after a brief illness.”
AThe President who described the late Hajiya Aisha Abubakar as a devout Muslim, commended her commitment to the welfare needs of the less‑privileged in her community.
AAs the remains of late Hajiya Aisha Abubakar will be interred tomorrow in Gusau, Zamfara State. according to Islamic rites, President Jonathan commiserated with the Acting Inspector‑General of Police, Mohammed D. Abubakar and other family members, and prayed Almighty God to grant the soul of their late mother eternal repose.
mid furious public pressure to make an arrest in the Trayvon Martin slaying, the special prosecutor on the case went for the maximum Wednesday, bringing a second-degree murder charge against the neighborhood watch captain who shot the unarmed black teenager.
George Zimmerman, 28, was jailed in Sanford – the site of the killing Feb. 26 that set off a nationwide debate over racial profiling and self-defense – on charges that could put him in prison for life.
In announcing the arrest, prosecutor Angela Corey would not discuss how she reconciled the conflicting accounts of what happened or explain how she arrived at the charges, saying too much information had been made public already. But she made it clear she was not influenced by the uproar over the past six weeks.
“We do not prosecute by public pressure or by petition. We prosecute based on the facts on any given case as well as the laws of the state of Florida,” Corey said.
Martin’s parents, who were in Washington when the announcement came, expressed relief over the decision to prosecute the killer of their 17-year-old son.
“The question I would really like to ask him is, if he could look into Trayvon’s eyes and see how innocent he was, would he have then pulled the trigger? Or would he have just let him go on home?” said his father, Tracy Martin.
Many legal experts had expected the prosecutor to opt for the lesser charge of manslaughter, which usually carries 15 years behind bars and covers reckless or negligent killings, rather than second-degree murder, which involves a killing that results from a “depraved” disregard for human life.
Just some weeks ago, a prophecy made by top Nigerian prophet and head of Synagogue Church Of All Nations (SCOAN), Prophet TB Joshua on the death of an African leader came to pass.
Alas! It was the President of Malawi that was the victim.
The controversial man of God at his second service on Easter Sunday, April 9, 2012 warned the movie industry to pray against the death of a male actor.
“Actors in Nollywood should pray against death of a male member of the industry,” Prophet TB Joshua warned.
The Nigerian film industry witnessed a series of death last year. Ashley Nwosu, Sam Loco Efe, Geraldine Ekeocha and others all died last.
This year has already witnessed the death of David Ihieze and James Iroha.
Five people, including a 14-month-old baby, died in a fatal car accident on Tuesday at Alapako village on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, according to reports.
The Ogere Unit Commander of the FRSC, Mr Abdulrahman Sadeeq, who confirmed the incident, said four other persons were seriously injured in the crash which occurred at about 7:30 am.
Sadeeq on phone said that the victims were travelling in a white Mazda bus marked Bayelsa XC 239 YEN heading to Lagos from Kano.
The bus, according to him, skidded off its lane and rammed into a ditch at the village.
While attributing the crash to over-speeding and dangerous driving, Sadeeq said a 12-month-old baby boy and three other male adults were injured.
The FRSC officials said the victims were conveyed to Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital in Sagamu.
- Nigerian Eye
The accused appeared before Magistrate S.K. Matepo for allegedly defrauding Mrs Franca Iboi of N600,000 under the guise of offering prayers to cleanse her business centre of evil charms.
Salau, standing trial on a two-count charge of conspiracy and fraud, however, pleaded not guilty.
The prosecutor Insp. Victor Eruada told the court that the accused had no fixed address and was unemployed.
He said that the alleged offences were committed between Feb. 11 and Feb. 16, at No. 17, Onilewura St., Ikotun area of Lagos.
He told the court that there was another suspect, still at large, that conspired with the accused to commit the alleged offences.
He said that the complainant owned a car wash business of which Salau claimed was infested with evil charms.
Eruada told the court that the accused and his accomplice claimed to be prophets, “whereas, their intention was to defraud“.
“They asked the complainant to pray and fast and that in three days they were going to remove the evil charms.
“On one of the days, the accused and his accomplice offered some prayers in her car wash and when fire gushed out from a corner of the compound, she believed in them.
“This made her to give them N600,000 to purchase items for the cleansing of her car wash centre,“ he said.
Eruada said that the complainant was also asked to sell her car in addition to the amount already collected from her.
“The request for additional money made things clear to the complainant that she was being duped.
Attorneys for George Zimmerman, the man who shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, announced Tuesday they are withdrawing from the case after losing contact with their client – just hours after the Florida neighborhood watch captain launched his own website to raise money for his legal defense and living expenses.
During a press conference, Zimmerman’s lawyers said that they have not heard from him since Sunday, reports the AP. They also said that, against their advice, Zimmerman had reached out to the special prosecutor who will decide whether he will face charges.
The news comes the same day that Zimmerman launched a website to reach out to his supporters and raise money for his living expenses and legal defense.
On TheRealGeorgeZimmerman.com, Zimmerman writes that after his involvement in the “life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage,” he has been “forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life.”
“This website’s sole purpose is to ensure my supporters they are receiving my full attention without any intermediaries,” he wrote.
The website’s background is an American flag, and the homepage features the headline “The Real George Zimmerman” and a quote from Edmund Burke, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing.”
Zimmerman has created a PayPal account to collect donations on the site “as I would like to provide an avenue to thank my supporters personally and ensure that any funds provided are used only for living expenses and legal defense, in lieu of my forced inability to maintain employment.”
Zimmerman’s lawyer Craig Sonner confirmed to Reuters that Zimmerman is operating the website himself.
On a page titled “The Facts,” Zimmerman promised “the facts will come to light.”
“I am grateful to my friends that have come to my aid, whether publicly or personally, never questioning my integrity or actions, understanding that I cannot discuss the details of the event on February 26th, and allowing law enforcement to proceed with their investigation unhindered,” he wrote. “Once again, I thank you for your patience and I assure you, the facts will come to light.”
Herman Cain made clear Tuesday that he is ready to throw his support behind Mitt Romney, making no mention of his endorsement of Newt Gingrich.
“I have always said I will support whoever the nominee is and it looks like Mitt Romney’s going to be that nominee, and we do need to get behind him,” Cain said on Fox News. “I remind people all the time … ‘Keep your eye on the mission.’ And the mission is to get control of the Senate, maintain control of the House and defeat Barack Obama. That means get behind the nominee, so, yes, I’m ready to get behind the nominee.”
Cain, who himself dropped out of the GOP primary in December, had endorsed Gingrich in January, hailing the former House speaker as a candidate capable of addressing “the crisis of leadership in the White House.”
Meanwhile, asked about a recent poll that showed President Barack Obama with a hefty lead in likeability over Mitt Romney, Cain said Tuesday that he was confident this gap would eventually close.
The national body of commercial motorcycle operators on Monday said “over 100″ of its members died in the Easter Day blast in Kaduna.
“Yesterday (Sunday) was a very dark day. This is because we lost our members and other innocent Nigerians. On the average, over 100 of our members lost their lives,” Secretary-General of the Amalgamated Commercial Motorcycle Owners and Riders Association of Nigeria, Nasir Mamman, told newsmen in Kaduna on Monday.
Mamman said the association would call an emergency meeting to compile the statistics of members that died in the blast.
The Kano Road, Kaduna, branch Chairman of the union, Danjuma Issa, corroborated the figure and said most of the dead members of the association were burnt beyond recognition.
Issa said, “It was an unfortunate incident, more so that it mostly affected our members. You can see that we are few here today. We are still mourning and searching for most of our members that we believe were killed in the blast.
“Families of some of our members have been trooping to various hospitals in the state to search for their loved ones. You cannot even identify some of the dead because they were burnt beyond recognition.”
Meanwhile, the death toll in the Sunday tragedy rose on Monday as three of the injured victims died at the Barau Dikko Specialist Hospital in the state capital.
An Improvised Explosive Device in a Honda car with a lone occupant early Sunday went off at the Junction/Sardauna Crescent area of Kaduna, killing mostly commercial motorcycle operators, fuel hawkers and passersby.
The blast described as “massive” by the Kaduna State Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Abubakar Jingiri, also damaged about 60 houses within the vicinity.
Jingiri on Sunday said only five people were killed but the spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency in the state, Abubakar Zakari Adamu, same day said 36 persons, including the lone bomber, were killed.
Our correspondent who visited some of the hospitals where the injured were receiving treatment on Monday said many distraught residents besieged the hospitals in search of their loved ones.
Russian big spenders Anzhi Makhachkala’s star Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o has blamed the poor state of the country’s pitches for a goal drought that has seen him fail to score in the last five games.
Eto’o, who signed for Anzhi last year from Inter Milan in a reported $27.9-million deal, last hit the back of the net with a penalty on November 27 and his last goal in open play dates back to November 5.
“For me the most important thing is that we play on good pitches. Then the goals will come,” Eto’o was quoted as saying by the Sport Express daily after Sunday’s goalless draw with CSKA.
“The Russian league is a good championship but as for the pitches… It’s hard to play on such pitches,” he said. “On good pitches we can keep up with anyone.”
Russia is emerging from a long winter and the last weeks have seen pitches in provincial cities turned into quagmires by belting rain and wet snow.
- Sport Express