The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
The YNaija Ticker
Security has been tightened in Sokoto as President Goodluck Jonathan visits the state to inaugurate the Federal Government Model Almajiri School.
The Almajiri School project is part of the programmes initiated by the Federal Government to combat the poor education of youths in the North, which is believed to be one of the reasons for the security breach in that part of the country.
The police have mobilised about 5,000 men for today’s presidential visit.
The model boarding school with modern facilities is in Gagi in Sokoto metropolis.
The Federal Executive Council approved the construction of 400 Almajiri schools across the 19 Northern states.
Government is spending about N5b on the project.
The approval was in fulfillment of the promise by Jonathan to tackle the Almajiri syndrome in the Northern states by ensuring that millions of the street children get access to formal education.
The President insisted that the Almajiri syndrome was responsible for the high level of insecurity and other social menace in the North.
Minister of Education Prof. Ruqqayat Rufai, said the schools would be equipped with basic facilities to promote the learning of Islamic religious knowledge and western education.
Minister of State for Education Nyesom Wike, who was directly supervising the project said 100 of the schools had been built and would be delivered before June.
The model school in Sokoto has among other facilities: language Laboratory, recitation hall, classrooms and dormitories.
Other facilities include: a clinic, vocational workshop, dining hall and mallam quarters.
In the city of Potiskum, gunmen opened fire on a policeman and his family, killing the policeman’s 7-year-old daughter, the Police Public Relations officer of the Yobe State command, Toyin Gbadegeshin said.
“They fired shots at him while sitting in the midst of his family. He managed to avoid the bullets and scaled over the fence,” Mr Gbadigisin said.
“The gunmen shot dead his seven-year-old-daughter and seriously injured another 12-year-old daughter and a 10-year-old-son who are now in hospital.”
The police spokesman blamed Boko Haram, a group waging an increasingly bloody fight with the Nigerian security forces, for the attack.
Early on Monday, gunmen killed three people when they attacked a police station, a church and a bank in the border town of Dikwa in Borno state.
The Spokesman for the Joint Security Task Force (JTF), Lt. Col. Sagir Musa said a local politician, a police officer and civilian and three gunmen were killed in the attack which occurred at about 1.30am on Monday morning.
The Army spokesman blamed the attack on members of the Boko Haram sect.
“Three Boko Haram terrorists were killed and many escaped with bullet wounds,” he said.
These attacks follow a Sunday suicide bombing in Kaduna. That attack killed at least 38 people in a massive blast that rattled a city long at the centre of religious, ethnic and political violence in the nation.
Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has called for a public debate between him and the PDP governorship candidate in the state, Maj-Gen. Charles Airhiavbere (rtd) ahead of July, 2012 governorship election in the state.
Oshiomhole said the PDP candidate owed the electorate and Nigerians explanations over certain issues.
He recalled how he was detained for breach of public peace as leader of NLC, noting that records of his detentions were traceable.“I have been detained for many times for breach of public peace by the Magistrates’ Courts.”
According to him, these are some of the issues the retired general will explain to the electorates.
Meanwhile, Nigeria’s former President Olusegun Obasanjo and his wife on Sunday paid an unscheduled visit to Gov. Adams Oshiomhole.
Obasanjo’s discussion with the governor was not made public as the meeting was under closed doors.
The former Board of Trustees (BOT) Chairman of PDP told newsmen after the visit that “I cannot be passing through Benin City and I do not say hello to my friend.
AOL just sold the majority of its patent portfolio to Microsoft. The price: about a billion dollars.
The sale marks an end to AOL’s very public hunt for a buyer, and the company says Microsoft was the winner of a competitive auction. In addition to purchasing 800 patents, Microsoft also gets licenses for AOL’s remaining 300 patents. By the same token, AOL retains licenses for the patents Microsoft bought.
In an AOL press release, Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith says Microsoft was able to achieve two goals: getting access to all of AOL’s patents and owning specific ones that “complement” the company’s existing portfolio.
AOL expects the transaction to be finished by the end of 2012, and says it plans to turn most of the $1.056 billion sale price over to shareholders.
Neither company has said exactly which technologies the 800 patents cover, but AOL said the 300 of them it was hanging on to represent its core and strategic technologies: advertising, search, content generation and management, social networking mapping, multimedia and streaming, security and others.
Interns — doctors, pharmacists and others — serving in Military Hospitals across the country, at the weekend, claimed they were yet to receive “a dime” after almost nine months of stewardship.
Some of the affected medical practitioners narrated their ordeal to The Guardian last Friday, saying that they had suffered untold hardship as a result of the failure of military authorities to pay them their stipends despite series of requests and consultations.
They, therefore, urged President Goodluck Jonathan and Minister of Defence, Dr. Bello Haliru Mohammed, to personally intervene in the process to ensure that justice is speedily done.
According to one of the interns, who craved anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the issue, there had been several unfruitful efforts to get their entitlement, as the authorities gave conflicting information and excuses.
But sources loyal to the Defence Ministry, yesterday, said that the payment was put on hold following a verification exercise that was ordered by the Ministry of Finance, based on the need to ascertain the actual number of interns at the Military hospitals.
Consequently the Ministry of Defence, which used to effect payment of the salaries, was asked to allow the Finance Ministry do so on its behalf through the e-payment option.
The essence, a source said, is to address the issue of ghost workers and cut down on costs. It was also learnt that the two Ministries are synchronising the lists of interns as submitted from the Defence Ministry and would soon begin payment of arrears accruing from the eight-month delay.
Interns are junior doctors or medical personnel usually resident in a hospital and it is customary that, as health professionals, they go through a compulsory one-year internship programme in accredited hospitals across the country.
The accredited military hospitals are under the Ministry of Defence.
Arik Air yesterday said it has not been taken over by the Asset Management Company of Nigeria ( AMCON).
The clarification is coming on the heels of some reports that AMCON has acquired the airline.
In a statement by its Media Officer, Banji Ola, the airline said: “Our attention has been drawn to a publication suggesting that Arik Air has been taken over by AMCON.
“There is no iota of truth in the story and it was just another malicious publication against Arik Air. The story is at best a figment of the writer’s imagination and a show of irresponsible journalism.”
AMCON Managing Director, Mr Mustafa Chike Obi, who was quoted in the story, condemned the publication.
In a statement, the AMCON chief said he was disappointed at the report, adding that the story was “completely false and baseless…”
Arik Air would therefore like to assure its esteemed guests that its daily flight operations are going on without any hindrance.”
The governor, Central Bank of Nigeria, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, has outlined how to remove crushing poverty from the North.
Sanusi told a gathering of local entrepreneurs in Kano that inclusion of women, who account for the majority of the population of the entire region in economic activities, remains the shortest way out of the quagmire.
The Kano born, CBN governor lamented that women had been schemed out of economic activities for selfish reasons, adding that there had to be attitudinal change for the region and its people to make progress.
“Poverty reduction in the north would certainly remain an illusion so long we continue to deny women their rightful role in the economic processes by guaranteeing adequate empowerment like we have seen in our recent history”, Sanusi stressed.
Commandant of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), in Kwara State, Al-Hassan Akor, said the Federal Government has approved the use of arms for men and officers of the corps to complement other security agencies in order to curb the rising cases of crimes across the country.
Towards this end, he said about 50-man anti-vandal squad have already been trained in arms-carrying by the Prisons, in Ilorin, adding that they will be supplied with the arms and ammunition as soon.
The civil defence boss, however, clarified that being armed does not mean that the corps are allowed to kill, saying that the law guiding their operations did not permit them to kill any suspect but only to maim.
Speaking during a public display of strength at the weekend, the civil defence boss said members of the anti-vandal squad, made up of uniformed and plain-clothed men, will monitor oil pipelines in collaboration with some licensed private security guards.
Akor, who said arms- training should form part and parcel of the corps, warned his men to be conscious of safety regulations when they start carrying arms, and cautioned that there is no accidental discharge in the dictionary of civil defence.
He reiterated that the corps had the core mandate to protect government’s property and physical infrastructure including oil pipelines, PHCN cables, water board pipes, adding that the training exercise was meant to re-awaken his men on their onerous task and responsibility and as well tell public that they are battle-ready to carry out their duty and curb acts of vandalism.
- Nigerian Eye
As part of efforts to ensure that motorists adhere strictly to various rules guiding vehicle inspection in the state, Lagos State Ministry of Transportation has handed over five Hilux patrol vehicles to the Vehicle Inspection Officers, VIOs in the state.
Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, while handing over the vehicles, weekend in Lagos, said the need to increase the vehicles in the fleet of VIOs became necessary to address the indiscriminate acts of motorists, especially commercial bus operators, who park indiscriminately on the roads and at undesignated bus stops to pick and discharge passengers especially at CMS, Apongbon, Dopemu to Iyana Ipaja, along Abeokuta Expressway.
Opeifa who condemned the continuous abuse of Apongbon, CMS, Oworonsoki, Alapere–Toll gate and Ikeja Along, among others by commercial bus operators, said henceforth, no commercial bus operators should stop or park at unapproved bus stops.
He said that with the additional vehicles, the VIOs will monitor and ensure that all vehicles that ply the roads are roadworthy and that commercial vehicles do not have any inscription on them.
Opeifa added that the VIOs and officials of Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, had been directed to ensure that commercial bus operators comply with the directive.