by Akan Ido
The OpenCityAfrica was birthed as a platform to facilitate cross-fertilization of ideas, an opportunity for the transfer of knowledge, reflect on social innovations driving change around the world’s biggest cities, connect idea seekers and local innovators from communities and cities across Africa to gather, share and learn from each other on a wide range of issues ranging from economic development, governance, youth employment challenges and solutions, technology, urban growth and social inclusion, small and medium enterprise development etc.
The OpenCity conference will be hosted in cities, communities and campuses around Africa. The context and content of every event will be based on the specific needs, aspirations and challenges of the host environment. This is to ensure that local and specific solutions are proffered, connecting local people to global trends and ideas.
Key issues to be discussed include:
1. Managing the cities of the future: Urban Innovation, public information and perception management.
2. Unemployment and employability challenges
3. Outlook on the creative industries: pathway to an alternative economy.
4. Friends, followers and the future: Mapping the influence of social media on our cities.
The event will be a mix of interactive panel discussant sessions featuring:
– Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, Former VP world Bank Africa
– Tonye Cole, CEO Sahara Energy
– Nike Ogunlesi, CEO Ruff n Tumble
– Mrs Ibim Semenitari, Commisioner for Information River state
– Audu Maikori, CEO, Chocolate city music
– Dabesaki Ikemenjima (UNESCO)
– Ronke Kosoko, CEO Employment clinic, Lagos
— Chief Host: HE Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi
The OpenCity project is conceptualized and managed by Arden and Newton Brand management company.
Date: Saturday 26th January 2013
Time: 9am prompt
Venue: The Atrium, Stadium Road Port Harcourt.
Convener: Perez N. Tigidam, CEO Arden and Newton BMC
The conference will stream live on the website. www.opencityafrica.com
– Streaming live at www.opencityafrica.com/liveFollow us on Twitter @YNaija