“The gunmen planned to kill us all” – Deeper Life attack survivors

by Isi Esene

The survivors of the Monday attack on a Deeper Life Bible Church in Okene, Kogi State yesterday have narrated their harrowing experience during the attack on them during a service.

The attack, carried out by unknown gunmen, has so far claimed twenty lives.

A survivor who narrated his experience from the hospital bed said that the gunmen came into the church premises, put off the generator, and locked the door preventing anyone from escaping before opening fire on the church members.

“We were in the church for normal Bible studies on Monday evening when they besieged us. After shooting, they started spraying under benches in the church to ensure no one survived the onslaught,” he said.

Another victim of the attack who sustained gunshot wounds told newsmen, “I only saw two gunmen, who entered the church in a flowing gown during our usual Bible Study at around 11pm. Before we could say anything we started hearing gunshots I only woke up to find myself on this hospital bed, I don’t even know how I got here.”

The victims believe that the gunmen intended to kill everyone in the church that day, and it was a miracle that some of them survived.

The zonal co-ordinator of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Pastor Omotosho told journalists that he got a distress call from one of the surviving pastors that the church was under attack. He said they were greeted with a gory sight of dead bodies when they finally got to the scene of the gruesome attack.

The presiding pastor of the church, Pastor Lambe Emmanuel, was among those killed in the attack. The church’s Bible Study meeting usually attracts an estimated 80 persons.

Pastor Roland Egunjobi, the overseer of the Deeper Life Bible Church, Ogene called the attack the saddest moment of his life, and that many of the victims of the attack were children who accompanied their parents to the church service.

Meanwhile, the Deeper Life Bible Church is yet to release an official statement on the attack which took place on Monday, every effort to get a response from the church have failed.

The church secretary, Pastor Jerry Asemota, refused to comment when contacted to give the position of the church on the incident.

Many clergymen have condemned the attack, among them are the CAN president, Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor; the Primate of the Anglican Church, Reverend Nicholas Okoh; and director of Social Communications at the Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, Rev. Monsignor Gabriel Osu.


Article Tags:
· · · · · ·
Article Categories:
More

Comments are closed.

Menu Title