by Krystle Crossman
Don’t diet. When you go hungry your body stores nutrients and turns them into fat instead of absorbing them.
If you are trying to lose weight as so many others are, there are 10 rules to live by if you want to be able to lose it and keep it off.
1. Keep a food journal. Record everything that you eat through the day so that you can see what you are putting into your body. The more you see the food that you have been eating and how much, you are more likely to make healthier choices.
2. Drink a lot of water. Water flushes the toxins from our body, helps to lubricate and cushion our organs, and regulates our body temperature.
3. Plan your meals ahead of time. If you plan out what and when you are going to eat, you are less likely to settle for whatever is convenient and possibly unhealth at the time because you are so hungry. You can save money this way too because food won’t go to waste while waiting to be cooked.
4. Watch the sizes of your portions.
a. Oils, fats, butter, cheese, dressings = the size of your thumb
b. Nuts and other healthy snack = a handful
c. Meats and other proteins = the size of your palm
d. Veggies, fruit, and whole grains = the size of your fist
5. Don’t diet. When you go hungry your body stores nutrients and turns them into fat instead of absorbing them.
6. Don’t listen to negative comments about your weight or your progress. Be proud that you are doing something right for your body.
7. Make time to cut out stress and relax every now and then. Stress can lead to more fat.
8. Get at least 7 hours of sleep. If you don’t sleep enough extra cortisol is released into your body which stores as fat.
9. Move! Get out and do some exercise. Stop sitting around all day.
10. Be consistent. Take baby steps but make sure that you keep everything as routine as possible so that you have an easier time staying in the groove.
Read this article on Healthy Black Woman
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.