by Rachel Ogbu
Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has announced that 25 students and two teachers of Ogba Junior Grammar School in Lagos are in critical condition after they were exposed to fumes of toxic chemicals discharged into drainage from a photo lab on the first floor of the Ogba Shopping Mall, located at the back of the school.
According to Nigerian Eye, the victims first started complaining of feeling dizzy at about 12.40pm when the smell filled the air and then one after the other they went unconscious. Upon LASEMA’s arrival, victims were transferred to the Blue Cross Hospital, and Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).
Parents were seen rushing to this scene and as one official was quoted as saying, the chemicals in the lab may have expired. Fire and Safety Services officials were also said to have been on ground to help with the evacuation and the premises have been sealed by the authorities with three photo studio staff arrested.