by Akintomiwa Agbaje
An inferno which consumed 10 make-shift houses burnt three kids of same parents to death on Monday.
The incident occurred at Oroke Estate in Ovwian, Udu Council Area of Delta State.
The cause of the fire could not be verified but an eye witness said the source suggested it could be from candle light or generating sets as there was a lack of power supply to the area as at the time of the inferno.
According to a Vanguard report:
Our source said the tragic incident occurred at about 9.43 p.m while both parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jakpor Emuruohwose and their eldest daughter, aged 11years, were away
Father of the victims, a graduate of Petroleum Training Institute, Mr. Emuruohwose, 38, is a native of Okonohwoakpo-Egbo of Kokori Inland, Ethiope East Council Area of Delta State.
The victims, two boys and a girl, ages between 9 and 3, were in great health and hopeful before the tragic incident which has left both young parent stunned.
Our source said the fire started from Emuruohwose’s side of the all zinc estate and the kids ran inside to the room as the fire was billowing.
According to the source, “Two of the kids died in the fire and the other one died in the hospital from severe burns. Property worth millions of Naira were destroyed in the fire.
“We made frantic efforts to quench the fire but it was beyond our power. By the time the fire service came, the havoc was already done and angry mob chased them away, pelting them with stones in anger.
“Out of fear, the fire service officials drove away as their vehicle windsreens were shattered. Maybe, they would have assisted but for the angry youths.”
Our correspondent visited the scene, yesterday, sympathisers were seen discussing the incident.