by Esho Wemimo
Painting of the finger and toe nails is an art in itself, an art that many ladies don’t pay attention to but should.
The ability for a lady who loves fashion to paint her nails is an advantage she has over men of fashion. Painting of the nails shouldn’t be a haphazard exercise, it’s an activity that should be carefully done and properly done to produce the desired effect.
At least one or twice a month a lady should go for a full on manicure and pedicure, even those ladies who don’t like to have coloured nails can engage in this refreshing and relaxing exercise as the process includes exfoliating the feet and palms which is healthy, it could be taken further to having the nails coloured in if requested for.
Here are some tips:
1. No nail biting, it’s such a turn off and leaves the nails and cuticles looking haggard.
2. A lady shouldn’t walk around with severely chipped nail polish on her nails.
3. A lady shouldn’t carry the same nail polish for more than two weeks.
4. A lady should go to a spa or salon for a manicure and pedicure at least one a month
5. After taking off a colour of nail polish, a new one shouldn’t be coated immediately as the nails need time to rest so as to avoid discolouration of the nails.
6. If you must wear nail extensions be careful so they don’t hurt your actual nails
7. If you must wear long or stiletto nail extensions be wise about it so as to avoid hurting yourself and those around you, especially children.
Here are a few tips to saving the cash and going DIY with your own manicure and pedicure at home.
You’ll need a basin to soak your feet in, warm water preferably.
A pumice stone to gently scrub off dead cells in the feet, exfoliating oil.
Toe separator, to prevent nail polish from smudging.
Nail varnish remover, cotton wool, file, nail clippers, cuticle cutters and of course a variety of nail polishes.
To apply long lasting nail polish follows these steps:
1. Pour some nail varnish remover into cotton wool and clean the nails properly then wash your hands with warm water and soap
2. After your hands are dry, apply the first coat of nail polish, which should be translucent, this is serves as a base for the actual colour to be used.
3. When the first coat has set, apply two thin coats of the desired colour and allow to set
4. Apply the fourth coat which should be translucent as well to give the polish a glossy and shiny effect.
5. To make the nails try faster you can place both hands in front of a fan, or better still purchase quick dry nail polish.
There are various types of nail polishes in vogue now, metallic, neon and pastels; they all look great when applied properly. There is a trend now that’s very hippie and loved by many, it’s basically adding an alternate colour of polish to the finger nails. The monochrome trend just wasn’t enough; the dichromatic and trichromatic trends came into play, a move only for the bold.
It’s important for a lady to pay attention to her polished nails because being stylish isn’t just about the clothes, even the nails should be able to say something about the sense of style of the wearer.
Editor’s note: Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.