by Chi Ibe
Thinking of the most productive thing to do this weekend, we’d suggest the Sound Sultan gig (An evening with Naija Ninja) at Deuces Bar & Lounge – and our Entertainment Editor provides 10 reasons why it’s the place to be!
1. Sound Sultan is perhaps the most talented Nigerian singer you will find alive today.
2. He has been consistent for more than one decade with his sound, not changing based on the current fad – and that is so hard, noble even.
3. In an era of loud noise and auto-tune, his original talent continues to be under-appreciated, even though he is one of the most respected voices in the industry.
4. He is a triple threat – as singer, producer and if you push him far enough, as a fantastic comedian!
5. Really – if you like great music, what other event is there tomorrow?
Date: Saturday, February 4, 2012.
Location: 19 Ademola Adetokunbo Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
6. He began his career speaking about the state of the Nigerian nation, and through the years he has continued to be a voice for the people.
7. His last single, released in January – Temporary Turn Permanent – was prescient as it ‘landed’ around the time of the #OccupyNigeria protests – proving his heart is in the right place.
8. See the video for the song here – it has cameors from Ruggedman, 9ice, Funmi Iyanda, Ras Kimono and Femi Kuti, and we love it.
9. It’s organised by 360Nobs Productions, and you know those guys know how to throw a party!
10. We endorse this wholeheartedly – ’cause, like the guys at 360Nobs say, Sound Sultan is our dude!
And no, this is not an advertorial!