by Goodness Ezinnaya
“Think Big! All the Future Award Africa nominees and award-winning individuals; “them get two heads?”
Fireworks. Smiles. Laughter. Calls. Pings. Happy New Year!.. I’m guessing that’s how the year began for you? What started as a beacon of hope, an opportunity for a new beginning, is gradually winding down to a halt. Many had great plans for the year, but only a few could/can translate desire and hope into physical reality. Because the truth is, it takes significant effort on your part to reach your goals. No need to sulk or feel gloomy if you’ve not had the kind of year you envisaged at the beginning – we can still work it out. Here are a few tips on how to salvage the rest of the year:
- Prioritize who you are: This year is not just about accumulating wealth, fame, clothes, and material things. Apart from these, focus on who you are. The remainder of the year should not just be about what you wear or your account balance – pay special attention to who you are. “Who you are” constitutes your character, attitude towards work and relationships, your thoughts etc. This should be your top priority from now till December.
- Be creative: Alter your routine and do something new. It could be learning a new skill, playing a sport, learning a new recipe etc. Do something that may not be convenient. Be creative in your productivity.
- Touch Lives: Yes, I know it’s tough to take the spotlight off yourself sometimes but it’s necessary. Touch lives. Work on your relationships. Little things matter. Let’s care for people, do something for someone else. Encourage someone with a smile. Help someone carry his suitcase. Visit and call old friends. Most importantly, help people when they need it. Be a servant. Yes you heard me right… servant. It’s not easy but it’s worth it. Someone once said, “The greatest honour is serving others because without them, who are you?”
- Cherish your Health: Watch what you eat. Exercise. Remember, Health is Wealth. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Don’t eat excessively. Make efforts to stay healthy by eating right.
- Have an attitude of gratitude: In everything, give thanks. Be content with what you have. Be grateful for your life and the life of those around you. Don’t struggle too much; work hard, be tough but remember to strike a balance.
- Be positive: It’s easy seeing the cup as half empty but try something different for the remainder of the year, try seeing the cup as half full. Your mistakes, misfortunes and uniqueness are working together a great future for you, but you have to be positive. Speak positive words. Think positive thoughts.
- Set goals: Day after day, it’s the same old thing and you’re just okay in your comfort zone. Think Big! All the Future Award Africa nominees and award-winning individuals; “them get two heads?” You may not believe it but something great lies within you. Set goals and pursue them. Don’t let this year pass you by.
These tips will go a long way in ensuring you have a remarkable remaining 2013. So remember, be focused. If you fail while trying to follow any of these tips, it doesn’t mean you’re a failure. Learn from your mistakes and continue the race. Don’t quit. See you at the end of the year!
Goodness Ezinnaya is a creative individual. She loves to write and her amiable voice has featured in past radio jingles for brands like UAC foods. She has a BSc Economics Degree in view from the University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. She enjoys playing board games and spending quality time with family and friends. #AnyBodyCanWrite
30 Days, 30 Voices series is an opportunity for young Nigerians from across the world to share their stories and experiences – creating a meeting point where our common humanity is explored.
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.
Leave a reply