The Nigeria Center for Disease Control NCDC and Dettol Nigeria, have both reacted after the Lagos state police command yesterday evening arrested Funke Akindele-Bello, for flouting the lockdown order in Lagos state.
Funke and her husband, JJC Skillz had a birthday party at their Amen estate home in Lagos state on Saturday and was attended by quite a number of people which contravenes the social distancing order of the Lagos state government. She was picked up by men of the Lagos state police command yesterday evening while her husband and Naira Marley have been asked to come forward for questioning.
Akindele has since apologised for her reckless act and taken accountability, following social media backlash but is her apology enough? She appeared in the NCDC #TakeResponsibility campaign video, along with a few other celebrities, to sensitise the public about Coronavirus and although she’s been arrested, the party she hosted could have disastrous consequences wherein COVID-19 could spread amongst the attendees if an infected person had been attendance.
FG seeks National Assembly approval of N500bn Intervention Fund
In a bid to conquer the Coronavirus pandemic in the country, the Federal government has approached the leadership of the National Assembly for approval for the establishment of a N500 billion COVID-19 Crisis Intervention Fund.
The Minister of Finance, Ahmed Zainab, met with the lawmakers on April 4th at the National Assembly complex. At the meeting, Ahmed said the proposed fund would be dedicated to upgrading of existing health facilities in states across the federation. She added that the fund if approved by the lawmakers, would also be deployed to take care of special Public Work Programmes currently being implemented by the National Directorate of Employment(NDE).
NCDC says that medical kits from China are not contaminated
KNOW THE FACTS
Q: Are the medical kits received by Nigeria from China contaminated?
A: NO. There is no evidence that the kits received are contaminated with the virus that causes #COVID19
— NCDC (@NCDCgov) April 5, 2020
Nigerian Army allegedly suspends involuntary retirement of soldiers
The Nigerian army has reportedly suspended approvals for voluntary retirement requests from soldiers, over the alleged mass application by several military personnel to quit service.
In an internal memo which was sent out in late March and made available to Premium Times, the Nigerian army disclosed that all forms 9B (military retirement application document) have been suspended and would no longer be made available to soldiers willing to voluntarily discharge from service.
Five more COVID-19 patients discharged
The Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has announced the discharge of five more Coronavirus patients from the Infectious Disease Hospital in Lagos. In a post shared on his IG page yesterday evening, the governor said a 10-year-old girl is amongst the five patients discharged today.