Police security withdrawal: Ex-governor Saraki prepares to seek legal redress

by ‘Jola Sotubo

Bukola-Saraki

The withdrawal of the security detail of certain stakeholders of the new Peoples Democratic Party faction has been met with outrage and disbelief across the nation.

One of those affected by the move was former Kwara State Governor, Bukola Saraki, and he has apparently made it clear that he will not take the development lying down.

The former governor reportedly said yesterday that he will seek legal redress after he was stripped of police protection allegedly on the instructions of the Presidency. Mr. Saraki’s security detail was withdrawn on Saturday ahead of his appearance before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which is investigating his role in the collapse of Societe Generale Bank of Nigeria.

The former governor, now a senator, is one of the backers of the new faction of the Peoples Democratic Party. The chairman of the new faction, Abubakar Baraje, is his close ally. The withdrawal of the seven police details is seen as part of the crackdown by the federal government against the brains behind the “new” PDP.

He vowed to file a case to have the police “do the right thing”. “We will seek legal redress to make sure the police do not break the law, to make sure they stick to the law,” he said by phone Sunday. In an earlier statement released by his office, Mr. Saraki said he had been exposed to danger by the decision.

“In view of this new development, it is evidently clear to us that this cannot be unconnected with the recent political activities going on in the country. No doubt, recent events in the nation have been taking strange and tragic dimensions but we have to look beyond our individual interests and let the weight of making Nigeria great dominate our minds as leaders and citizens as Nigeria is bigger than an individual,” he said in the statement.

“We wish to state that the recent move by the Nigerian police authorities will definitely endanger the life of Senator Bukola Saraki. We hereby call on good citizens of Nigeria to hold the Federal Government responsible for any eventuality considering the fact that there are illegal arms going round the country without being properly checked.”

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail