A 12-year-old boy carried his grandmother to safety after a propane heater exploded in their home and started a fire on Friday.
Seth Cutright said he smelled the leaking gas just before his grandmother, Rose Cutright, lit a cigarette and their home exploded in flames.
“It was like ‘boom.’ A flash before your eyes,” said Seth.
The fire broke out just before 3 p.m.
Seth and Rose were the only family members home during the explosion and fire.
“My grandma was on fire,” he said. “Not completely on fire, just a little bit. Then when I was walking, it went out. I carried her outside and set her on the ground. I went to the next-door neighbor’s and said call the ambulance.”
The two are recovering at the Oregon Burn Center in Portland.
“I love you. I’m proud of you. You’re my hero,” Seth’s father, Roger Cutright, said to his son.
Seth and Roger Cutright said they wanted to talk about the fire on TV because they are so grateful for the doctors at the burn center.
It took about three hours for firefighters to get the fire under control. They were able to save several cats and some chickens.
The Red Cross is helping the Cutright family.