by Pelumi Oyetimehin (additional reports by Chi Ibe)
The 2012 Headies have come and gone but the good… and not-so-good memories continue to linger. We were there to catch all the happenings inside and outside the auditorium and was it full of scoops or what?
Here, our Lagos campus correspondent brings you all the remarkable incidents that happened during the Headies. Enjoy the gist!
– The event started at 12am with a dance routine.
– Chidinma came on stage at 12:12am to perform ‘Kedike’ with guest appearance by Danny Krane.
– M.I Abaga and Omawumi wagered N500,000 on her inability to make a straight sentence without speaking ‘pidgin’ English.
– Best R&B goes to May D – soundtrack.
– Debola Williams and Toke Makinwa come on stage with Toke spotting an awesome dress.
– Best pop single goes to Iyanya for ‘Kukere‘.
– Remembering Allen Avenue by Weird MC.
– The fall of Burna-boy! He got on stage swearing; f*ck this, f*ck that and the stage decided to f*ck him up by tripping him off. He fell so hard the crowd wondered how he got up. A guests when telling someone about the fall said he was submerged by the stage.
– Dammy Krane literally set the auditorium on fire with ‘My Dear‘ from Rookie category.
– Bez and Praiz performed ‘That Stupid Song at 12:44am.
– D1 and Franca present Best R&B/pop album to P square for ‘Invasion’.
– Off all the awardees, only Wizkid, Brymo, Vector, Chuddy K and Davido were present.
…And the juicy scoops:
– But Chuddy-K’s performance was bad!
– In the revelation of the year category, the nominees were not ‘revelations‘; Wizkid and all. The audience didn’t quite understand what it was all about.
– M.I and Omawumi were definitely winners.
Then the skit with Omawumi and M.I when they gave unofficial awards is worth a mention:
– Best label head went to Banky W.
– Best pop album deservedly goes to Tuface for popping five kids.
– Live recording was grabbed by Dr. Sid and Davido… you know why!
– Best remix was taken by Psquare for Timaya’s ‘Alongo’ song.
Where were they?
– Reports indicate Linda Ikeji refused to attend the awards because she was paired to present with Toke Makinwa. Toke on the other hand had no issues presenting with her, we gathered.
– D’banj was missing in action, he was organising a concert in Coko-bar leaving the biggest music awards in the country while his career takes a dip.
– None of the MAVINs attended… rumours has it that there’s ‘beef’.
– 2face couldn’t make it because he had to be abroad that day but the jolly good fellow was at the veterans night thrilling the guests to Mike Okri’s ‘Time na Money‘.
– A little birdie says to us that Tiwa Savage wouldn’t come to the Headies as she hasn’t recovered from the shock of not winning Next Rated category last year so couldn’t hold her heart in her mouth waiting to win or not this time.
All in all, a fab show!