The human mind works in mysterious ways. When she comes at you with topics or questions as lame as ‘what did you do today,’ your body immediately sees danger.
If this question was asked over beers with your buddies, you would have gladly launched into your day’s anecdotes. This is because our mind has been conditioned to look for implications and innuendos – or if she’s trying to send a message through her questions. To let you sail smoothly through any sort of interrogation, we tell you a list of ways in which you can deal with her line of questioning.
1. Do you love me? Why does she ask – A woman asks such validation-seeking questions only because her body is programmed to ask you for reassurances that you love her enough to stick around. It’s her way to check on the security of your relationship. Your Response – Instead of complimenting her perfect looks or body, which will only make her further nervous, concentrate on highlighting her aspects that won’t change: She’s a wonderful person, has an amazing sense of humour and wit, and makes an amazing cuppa.
2. What are you thinking? Why does she ask – Because a woman is more comfortable in asking open-ended questions. Also, there are times when a woman would speak to a man in a way she wants to be spoken to. Your Response – You must help her feel at ease to talk without beating around the bush. Re-frame her question into a more concrete topic because this will help her zero down on subjects that are eating her mind.
3. Isn’t that the most beautiful diamond pendant? Why does she ask – It’s not about the actual pendant. Gifts might represent your love to her. You feel threatened because you think she’s demanding an expensive present, that you might not be able to provide for. Your Response – Tell her that it will look beautiful on her, and that you’ll buy it one day when you have the cash. Embracing her emotional needs in your response will let you both feel satisfied.
4. What do you think about us? Why does she ask – She asks only because she has something to talk about. Your Response – Although the question feels like a surprise test, the answer is rather easy. Open the floor for her to air any concerns. Ask her what’s bothering her and how she’s feeling, but say it genuinely.
5. When will we start having kids? Why does she ask – Women are often ready to commit before men, and they do try to coax men in doing the same. Your Response – Tell her there’s no other woman you’d have kids with, but you need a little more time to enjoy life just with her. Instead of saying a flat no, you should layer up your answer with love and an endearing reason to justify not having kids now.
6. Do you like my new dress? Why does she ask – Because you don’t compliment her enough these days, and in most cases, it’s true. She is just asking you to take notice. Your Response – Surprise her by giving her more than the expected answer. Talk about the colour of the dress and how it brings out her eyes and how it hugs her in right places. If you say positive things to her on a regular basis, then she wouldn’t feel the need of reassurances.