by Sola Fasasi
The EnoughisEnough Nigeria coalition recently released ReVoDa, a new mobile application, which was designed to allow citizens report incidents, results, violence/fraud, police behaviour, INEC staff conduct, etc, from their respective polling units – all with the easy click of their mobile phones. “ReVoDa turns eligible voters into informal election observers, and allows monitoring organizations to draw conclusions about the legitimacy and accuracy of the elections,” said EiE board member Gbenga Sesan.
With the effective deployment of this application, voters will be more connected to the voting process.
“The use of ReVoDa during the 2011 elections will showcase the power of popular participation. ReVoDa, as part of EiE Nigeria’s RSVP campaign, connects voters to the entire process and makes it fun – especially for young voters who’re avid technology users. ReVoDa provides untrained citizens with a medium through which they can share their objective and subjective election experiences and it potentially turns the 87,297,789 Nigerians with mobile phones, 43,982,200 with internet access and 2,985,680 on Facebook into informal election observers. ReVoDa is easy to use, and comes with a HELP function to guide you. You can download at http://eienigeria.org/revoda and also read more about how it works at http://revoda.org/howitworks,” Sesan said.
EiE encourages you to spread the word by using the “Tell A Friend” feature of the app, or by sending this text message to your friends: “You should use ReVoDa Mobile application to monitor 2011 elections, send reports & get updates from EiENigeria. Download the app @ http://eienigeria.org/revoda”. If you prefer tweets: “U shld use ReVoDa Mobile app 2 monitor 2011 elections, send reports & get updates from @EiENigeria. Download @ http://eienigeria.org/revoda”
ReVoDa in 5 Steps…
1. Send your Polling Unit number and name to 0812 888 2011, e.g. 24/13/02/015 Oluwangozi Danladi. If you’re sending from someone else’s phone, they use this format: PU# Name Mobile# (e.g. 24/13/02/015 Oluwangozi Danladi 0800 000 0000)
2. You will get a confirmation SMS, along with a link to download ReVoDa
3. Download and set up your profile on ReVoDa
4. Get familiar with ReVoDa – and feel free to use the HELP menu or visit the online HELP page
5. Share ReVoDa with others, using the “Tell A Friend” tool or Facebook/Twitter menu option (not available for ReVoDa Lite)
For more information, please contact EiE Nigeria via [email protected] or 0809 222 2011 or @EiENigeria.