by ‘Jola Sotubo
An inferno caused by adulterated kerosene has led to the death of one in Ebonyi State and caused varying degrees of injury to two other persons.
The deceased, 13 -year-old Ifeoma Nwofe, was caught in the explosion at her parent’s residence in the Azuiyiokwu area of Abakaliki, the state capital.
The young girl was then rushed to the Federal Teaching Hospital in the area but didn’t receive treatment due to the ongoing strike of health workers in the country.
Vanguard gathered that the victim, who suffered severe burns all over her body, could not receive treatment at the where she was rushed to because of the ongoing doctors’ strike.
She later died at a private hospital due to lack of prompt medical attention.
Other victims and siblings of the deceased, who are still in a critical condition, include Linda 8, and Chiemerie, 10.
According to report, the explosion occurred as Ifeoma was trying to light the family’s lantern after electric power cut.
This development has raised suspicion that the kerosene might have been adulterated.
Narrating his ordeal, father of the victims, Mr. Simeon Nwofe, said that Ifeoma returned home to observe her school’s midterm break.
“After hugging her younger ones, she decided to put on the lantern in the house and then the incident occurred,” he said, adding that her remains have been taken to their hometown for burial.
The Special Adviser to Ebonyi State Governor on Petroleum Products, Pricing and Distribution, Mr. Chief Ejem, promised to get to the root of the matter.
He said: “We will conduct a thorough investigation into the incident and prosecute those culpable.
“The government has been doing its best to rid the state of fake petroleum products, but have been thwarted by unscrupulous elements who deal on such products.”