The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has Monday, condemned the attack on Ogba Zoo and Nature Park in Benin, Edo which took place on Sunday.
- In the attack, three policemen were killed and the Head of the Zoo, Dr Andy Ehanire, was abducted by the attackers.
- The Minister described the attack as a big blow to ongoing efforts to lift the tourism sector in the country.
- ”The success or failure of a tourism destination depends largely on a safe and secure environment. Incidences such as the attack on the Ogba Zoo and Nature Park, therefore, negates the concept of tourism as well as government’s determination to develop our tourism industry as a tool for socio-economic development.
- ”The killing of the three policemen attached to the zoo to provide security for fun seekers, the abduction of the zoo boss and the trauma suffered by the visitors who witnessed the attack are saddening, condemnable and most unfortunate.”
Plan of action:
- The Minister said the government will step up security in all the tourist sites across the country in particular in order to prevent a recurrence while urging the abductors of Dr Ehanire to quickly release him unharmed.
- He also sent his condolences to the families of the policemen who were killed in the attack and prayed that God will grant repose to their souls.
Omoleye Omoruyi… an apprentice web/game developer, novelist, sensitive to happenings in the world. Meet him @Lord_rickie on Twitter/Instagram