by Omoleye Omoruyi
Born February 27, 1975, Moji Olaiya was a Nigerian actress, featuring in several Yoruba and English Nigerian movies.
Moji started her career in the popular series, ‘Super Story’. She continued in films such as ‘No Pains No Gains’, in which she played Ireti, ‘Sade Blade’ (2005), ‘Nkan adun’ (2008) and ‘Omo iya meta leyi’ (2009).
She passed away May 18, 2017, in Canada, where she had gone to have second child.
These are the five things you should know about her:
1. Moji Olaiya was born on February 27, 1975, to highlife legend Victor Olaiya; a Nigerian trumpeter who plays in the highlife style, bridging between Ghanaian highlife and what would become Afrobeat.
2. In 2003, Moji was nominated for the Reel Award Best Supporting Actress of the Year, and she won the Best New Actress Award.
3. In 2014, the actress who was born a Christian, converted to Islam.
4. The late actress was honoured in 2015, by the Nigeria Police Force in Abuja for being a role model to Nigerian youths.
5. 18 years after her first child, Adunoluwa, the late actress welcomed another child on March 17, 2017, in Canada.