Before we unravel the many thoughts of Nigerians about the trend that have sparked a debate on the chances of an Igbo president come election 2023, or the idea that the Igbo people feel marginalized in the country when it comes to politics, let us first talk about the origin of this Twitter trend.
The Igbo trend on Twitter ignited after a video of late Ismaila Isa-Funtua surfaced on social media. In the video, the business mogul was addressing a question that called for his opinion on the alleged marginalization of Igbo people feeling. Isa’s answer suggests the Igbo people are somehow responsible for their own alleged marginalization – he said in the video: “If they deserve to be president of Nigeria they should belong to a party… It is not turn by turn Nigeria…”
When #Funtua thought he is immortal & that #Igbos must remain slaves forever. Little did he know he is going to die while #Igbo race remains productively alive forever.Listen to his English, primitivity,arrogant manners/hatred towards #Igbos & tell yourself the truth.#BiafraExit pic.twitter.com/8wnDJIeMSS
— Moses Agbo (@MazimosesAgbo) July 21, 2020
The post spurred serious debates on Twitter. Many people are now exploring the idea of having an Igbo president (or not) in the coming election. While some called for Nigeria to be restructured to accommodate the Igbo people, others pointed out that Nigerian elections and the presidency is not a matter of ethnicity but a matter of National Politics – They seem to share Isa’s point that claims Nigeria not to be a ‘turn by turn” country.
At every slight opportunity, these debates come up. Ismail Isa Funtua’s death and the video that went viral is the latest trigger for this one today on Twitter and Igbos will continue to trend and make their case known every other week until the Presidential Primaries take place in 2023.
Here are what Nigerians are saying…
On Igbo presidency 2023, Orji Uzor Kalu and Rochas Okorocha have gone far ahead of other Igbo politicians in laying a foundation. This is the bitter truth pic.twitter.com/cbiTfPI6Ss
— Obinna Nwosu (@obi_Nwosu) July 21, 2020
2. Abuja MUST remove its grip on the NDDC, allow Niger Deltans select people they trust, to head the agency
The facade at the National Assembly, is the distraction the feudal state orchestrated, to enforce their “Niger Delta failed the Niger Delta” narrative
— NEFERTITI (@firstladyship) July 21, 2020
May God destroy all their Foundation and also destroy anyoneone helping this two lay those foundations.
Igbo presidency doesn't mean that we will project kleptomaniacs.
It's either the best from Igbo Land ascends the throne or nothing https://t.co/Zj80GLMBBi
— DEMAGOGUE PhD.💘senior advocat🎓 (@von_Bismack) July 21, 2020
The Igbo's are divided. As small as their number is, 70% want Biafra while the remaining 30% which are not up to 2M in number want presidency. They need to pick a struggle
— P h i l s (@feelphils_) July 21, 2020
Isa funtua never said Igbos will not be president in this country. but he said if they want to rule let them belong join party and follow all political processes.
— Lukman shehu ruma (@Danshehu01) July 21, 2020
Not every Igbo voted for Obi just like not every Yoruba state voted Osinbajo. Infact Obi won every SS and SE state but Osinbajo won only 3 SW state. Being ready does not mean no personal opposition. Igbo can be resolved as a tribe in ALL parties.
— WaZoBia (@TundeEmekaAbu) July 21, 2020
Ndi igbo agitating for igbo presidency 2023 may i remind you that this course you're crumbling #ipob efforts for, is a case of systemic exclusion.
They have vowed that no Igbo blood can make it to that seat not matter what you do. Nigeria is their entitlement. I rest my case 😌
— XpSilver (@Xpsilver1) July 21, 2020
Michael is a dynamic writer who is still exploring the nuances of life and being human. When I’m not writing, I’m out with friends or spending nice time alone watching movies or TV Shows.
Michael is available on Twitter and Instagram @TheMichaelFaya