Former President Goodluck Jonathan – on this day, one year ago – ceremoniously handed over the mantle of Nigeria’s leadership to President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress.
Despite having spent only one of his 4 year tenure, the administration of Muhammadu Buhari has been largely eventful and has consistently remained in the news- both for negative and positive reasons.
The spate of events of the past year occurred in quick succession and at such dizzying pace- that it was sometimes, hard to catch up with.
In 20 photos, here are some of the most impactful moments of Buhari’s one-year in office.
- Buhari is sworn in as President.
2. Buhari attends G7 summit in Germany.
3. President Buhari visits United States of America.
4. Bukola Saraki and Ike Ekweremadu sworn in as Senate President and Deputy Senate President respectively.
5. Agitations for the secession of the Republic of Biafra by The Indigenous People of Biafra became more pronounced.
6. The $2.1 billion arms scandal which later became known as #DasukiGate was uncovered. The discovery of this alleged diversion of funds meant to fight insurgency led to a barrage of arrests and corruption investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
7. 6 months after inauguration, President Buhari appoints his cabinet of Ministers.
8. Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu is arrested by operatives of the Department of State Services sparking several protests in the South East which has so far cost scores of lives.
9. President Buhari presents the 2016 Appropriation Bill to the National Assembly. The document was described as ‘The budget of Change’
10. The first presidential media chat featuring President Buhari. He made some very controversial statements which generated a lot of anger from Nigerians and gave life to the tag #TyrantBuhari hashtag on social media.
11. Former National Publicity Secretary of the opposition, Peoples Democratic Party appears in court in handcuffs sparking off allegations of President Buhari persecuting opposition members instead of sincerely fighting corruption.
12. Nigeria receives anti-land mine military vehicles from United States of America to support the fight against Boko Haram terrorists.
13. President Buhari in an interview with Aljazeera declared that Nigeria was now a part of the Coalition of Muslim States Against Terror.
14. President Buhari meets with the Bring Back Our Girls group and parents of some of the kidnapped Chibok girl.
15. Biting fuel scarcity plagues the nation and lasts for several weeks.
16. President Buhari meets with Catholic Bishops. They reiterated their support for his government and vision.
17. The controversial 2016 was finally signed into law by President Buhari.
18. David Cameron calls Nigeria a fantastically corrupt country- a statement which President Buhari confirmed to be true at the London Anti-Corruption Summit 2016.
19. President Buhari attended the London Anti-Corruption Summit 2016 with over 60 other world leaders. While he was at the summit, the subsidy on fuel was removed which led to the hike of the commodity from N86 per litre to N145 per litre.
20. President Buhari receives one of the kidnapped Chibok girls at the Presidential Villa after she was found by Civilian Task Force near Sambisa Forest.