TICKER: Doctors mistakenly set a patient on fire during a surgery

When you go to the doctor to get surgery, you don’t expect to be burned alive.  But Professor Kira Reed of Syracuse, New York went through that kind of nightmare.   The professor was pregnant, in the middle of a cesarean delivery.  During the procedure, Dr. Reed suffered a burn on her side when doctors used an alcohol-based antiseptic on her skin.  The chemical was caught on fire when a device accidentally ignited it.

Professor Reed was left with a seven-inch burn on her side after the incident and filed a lawsuit.  Dr. Stephen Brown was in court arguing that neither he nor the hospital were liable for burning Professor Reed.  The fire was put out quickly and the baby was unharmed.

The hospital did settle with Reed out of court, but it is being reported that the negligence claim against Dr. Brown was not supported by members of the jury.   This is not the first time someone or something was caught on fire during surgery.  This can occur in other cases, and it typically happens when hot medical devices hit disinfectant solutions before the alcohol evaporates.

Techyville

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail