by Stanley Azuakola
- “Our hospitals and clinics are dirty and smelling. This is not healthy for the lives of our people.”
Recently reinstated speaker of the Bayelsa State House of Assembly, Kombowei Benson, who presided over the screening of commissioner nominees, said the above during the screening of Dr. Michael Awoli. Interestingly, when members of the Bayelsa Assembly impeached Benson (before the intervention of the president brought him back), he was reportedly abroad for medical check-up. Now you know why.
- “It is unfortunate that the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has deconstructed the word ‘Action’ in their name as being synonymous with war, fighting, blackmail, abuse and intimidation. The ACN has relied on these archaic, barbaric and guerrilla tactics to gain undue political advantage in the past.”
PDP’s new national publicity secretary Chief Olisa Metuh is giving ACN’s Lai Mohammed a run for his money. This salvo from Metuh was fired after the Akwa Ibom local council elections. The curious thing is that even though Metuh accused the Action Congress of using violence in the course of the elections, the PDP actually swept every single chairmanship seat available. So is this the case of ‘violence did not pay for the ACN,’ or it’s just the PDP applying ‘the best form of defence is attack?’
- “I am surprised that somebody I am not sure has been to Anambra State even as a Minister comments about the State from the point of view of what I consider as pure, unadulterated ignorance. It is an insult to the Igbo race to openly or even remotely suggests that any part of Igbo land in the Nigeria we all know today should be considered as the poorest in the country. This negates our resourcefulness and ingenuity as a people. Honestly, I do not know what propels him or what interest he is protecting.”
Gov. Peter Obi of Anambra State offended by a piece by Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, which described Anambra State’s budget as a budget of misplaced priorities. While, Gov. Obi is within his rights to be upset if the budget he presented is unfairly deconstructed, one wonders how that is an insult to the Igbo race and why Obi had to even introduce a tribal argument in the first place.
- “Linda Ikeji… the Nigerian blogger… is a fucking LIAR. What a desperate pathetic person. She TWISTS her posts into lies.”
Author and top controversy magnet Kola Boof firing one of many tweet missiles at Nigerian blogger Linda Ikeji for posting a story about her which was non-factual. Ikeji eventually edited her post to reflect the facts and all was well with the world again.
- “As far as I know, Lawan could not have been working alone in this extortionist plot. A tree does not make a forest. Actions of today by the house is laughable; a mere celebration of corruption and a further indictment on their honorable member.”
One of the major actors in the Farouk Lawan bribery scandal, Femi Otedola was mad at the House of Representatives for re-including the name of his company, Zenon, among the oil marketers to refund money to the Federal Government for allegedly obtaining official foreign exchange allocation from the Central Bank and failing to import fuel.