- Davido the primary target in attack on Governor Adeleke’s convoy in Osun
- Tinubu slams Atiku’s promise to restore petrol subsidy
- EFCC and ICPC investigate ₦12bn NFF intervention fund
- Content creator claims Wande Coal did not refund $20,000 in show expenses
- Ariana Grande fires back at Team Trump over song use
Across Nigeria’s 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, these are the top five Nigerian news stories you shouldn’t miss.
Davido the primary target in attack on Governor Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

The Osun State Police Command says Afrobeats star Davido was the target of an attack on his uncle Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo on Wednesday, August 19. Davido and the governor’s children were reportedly in the convoy during the incident.
Police spokesperson Abiodun Ojelabi said preliminary investigations showed that suspected members of the Eiye confraternity targeted the singer. He identified a suspected thug, Adebayo Taoreed, also known as “Small Rugged”, as one of those involved.
The suspects reportedly exchanged gunfire with security personnel after attempting to reach Davido and later blocked the palace entrance. Ojelabi said a 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf, was shot during the violence in the Itaolokan area of Osogbo.
Tinubu slams Atiku’s promise to restore petrol subsidy

President Bola Tinubu has criticised former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar’s plan to restore petrol subsidies if elected president in 2027, describing the proposal as a sign of “serious ignorance” of governance and the economy.
Atiku, the African Democratic Congress presidential candidate, said on Wednesday that he would reverse the subsidy removal and accused the Tinubu administration of failing to account for savings made since 2023.
Speaking at the State House, Tinubu defended his decision to remove the subsidy, saying some states struggled to pay salaries and pensions before he took office. He argued that restoring the subsidy would be a step backwards for Nigeria’s economy.
EFCC and ICPC investigate ₦12bn NFF intervention fund

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) have launched investigations into the use of a ₦12bn Federal Government intervention fund given to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
The fund was approved by President Bola Tinubu in 2024 to settle outstanding wages and bonuses owed to national team players. Sources said some officials have been questioned and are currently on administrative bail.
The investigation follows a request for financial records and utilisation documents under the Freedom of Information Act. In a letter dated August 18, the NFF responded to the request, confirming that the matter involved records relating to the ₦12bn fund.
Content creator claims Wande Coal did not refund $20,000 in show expenses

Content creator Aku Ezeiruaku has accused Nigerian singer Wande Coal of failing to refund more than $20,000 she allegedly spent organising a show for him in Canada. She made the claim while speaking on the Pair Pressure podcast.
Ezeiruaku shared a 2019 event flier showing Wande Coal as the headliner and said she paid for vendors, venue and accommodation. She alleged that the singer contacted her, saying he was facing financial difficulties and had been let down by his management.
According to Ezeiruaku, Wande asked her to send his deposit directly to him and later requested a $3,500 balance and a flight from Nigeria to Canada. She said she agreed without a written contract because she believed she was helping him.
Ariana Grande fires back at Team Trump over song use

Ariana Grande has criticised Team Trump for using her song ‘We Can’t Be Friends (Wait For Your Love)’ in a TikTok video featuring President Donald Trump. The video included a message about gender and women’s sports and was posted on August 20.
Grande responded in the comments, telling the account, “Never use my music again. Also, your truth is false.” The post was captioned with hashtags referencing Trump, Grande, and MAGA.
This is not the first time Grande has objected to her music being used by the Trump administration. In June, she criticised the White House for using ‘Bye’ in an immigration enforcement video and demanded that her music not be linked to what she called “barbaric” and “inhumane” actions.





