by Olorunwa Lawal
Health Minister, Onyebuchi Chukwu, says Nigeria has confirmed two new Ebola cases, the first two to have spread beyond those who had direct contact with Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian-American who brought the disease to Nigeria.
Chukwu said Friday in Abuja, that the two new cases are spouses of patients who had direct contact with Sawyer, who flew into the country last month with the virus and infected 11 others before he died. The two are spouses of caregivers who treated Sawyer, both of whom later died.
These two new cases bring the total number of confirmed infections in Nigeria, including the traveller, to 14. Chukwu says five patients have died, five have recovered and four are being treated in Lagos.