from Naturally Moi
Ending a bad relationship is difficult. Ending a bad marriage is a nightmare. You have the rest of your life to fall in love, don’t rush it.
You’re 25-years old and have your whole life ahead of you, or at least that’s the plan. You also have been firmly convinced that you know everything. Let me tell you, you don’t.
But for those who’d like to listen, here is a little advice from old folks about mistakes you do not want to make while you’re young. Some will haunt you for life.
1) Getting married to the wrong person, too soon – there’s no law stating that you have to get married in your twenties. There should be a law against marrying the wrong person without seriously considering the consequences. Ending a bad relationship is difficult. Ending a bad marriage is a nightmare. You have the rest of your life to fall in love, don’t rush it.
2) Neglecting your health – You’re young, slim and looking good, with no exercise and a horrible diet. Just wait a few years, when you are gaining weight that never goes away or your hooked up to some machine because you’ve spent your whole life smoking or drinking. Start good habits now and they will stay with you for life.
3) Not investing in your future – you think that dropping out of school is the right thing to do? Let’s hope you’re not 40 years old hating yourself for not making the right decision. If you fail to plan today, you are throwing tomorrow into the garbage. Also, you should start saving for retirement now, not when you have enough money. You’ll never feel like you have enough.
4) Choosing a career for money and nothing else – Money feels really good the first time you receive it. Then, over time, the impact diminishes. You’ll be addicted to the paycheck, of course, but it won’t make you feel good about getting up every day for a job you hate. Find a profession that helps you to earn a decent living, while also giving you some joy, or start a business on the side. It’ll truly impact your quality of life.
5) Neglecting the importance of family – Family is all you’ve got most of the time. That love interest who swears he’ll be by your side forever probably won’t, but a good parent or sibling always will. Also, if you have kids, you should realize that these are the precious times, and also the time when you’ll be forming that lifelong foundation. Don’t blow it.
Read this article in Naturally Moi
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.