by Adeniyi Azeez
Nigerian Dancehall artiste, Damini Ogulu popularly known as Burna Boy is one entertainer whose name is synonymous with controversy.
Burna Boy is a talented artiste no doubt, but the many controversies his short career has been embroiled in could be the reason why he is currently struggling to keep his career alive.
The 25- year-old has been enmeshed in several unpleasant face-offs and exchange of heated words with colleagues, fans and even the media.
Due to recent controversies involving his name, we decided to look at the different times ‘The Don Gorgon’ caused a stir.
- The Port Harcourt born artiste stripped down to only his panties while performing at the 2013 Felabration. This got the late legend’s family angry, stating that the singer’s action was disrespectful to Fela’s legacy.
2. In January last year, the dance-hall artiste was involved in a pool side fight with Zimbabwean act, Bufallo Soulja in South Africa.
Burna further took to Twitter to take swipes at the Zimbabwean.
He wrote, “Fuck beef nd twitter chat I ain’t even gunna help ur career by sayin ur name on twitter. See me wen u see me pu**y. On sight!”
3. May 2015 saw Burna Boy threaten to physically harm bloggers whom he claimed were spreading false reports about him.
“These bloggers be writing shit thinking its a game until I see yall face to face one day nd hospitalize or murk u. We gon meet 1day #onsight“, he threatened on Instagram.
4. Burna Boy posed with a gun on Instagram in June 2015 with the caption, “This is not a movie or music video. Truss mi daddy.”
He later deleted the picture after he was heavily criticised by fans.
5. In June of the same year, he tweeted about being left out of MTV Base’s 2015 MAMA Awards nominations.
Burna Boy later got a reply from the award organizers that he was not left out in order to mock him.
6. Last month, the artiste’s producer, Orbeat accused Burna Boy of owing him for production services rendered to the singer.
Orbeat also added that Burna refused to give him credit for his efforts and also released his latest single ‘Acting bad’ without his consent.
7. Most recent of his controversies, is the baby-mama scandal that surfaced on the internet few weeks ago.
A previously unknown lady – Uju Stella – alleged that the singer got her pregnant and has been shying away from his responsibility.
However, Burna Boy denied being responsible for the pregnancy in a clip where he said he only slept with her once.