The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) John Odigie-Oyegun Thursday, while inaugurating a fifteen-member campaign committee for the forthcoming governorship election in Anambra, said that the party remains the best option for actualising a Southeast Presidency; in the nearest future.
- Oyegun challenged the committee led by the governor of Bauchi, Mohammed Abubakar to bring the Southeast into the mainstream of Nigerian politics.
- He also challenged the committee to mobilise the entire citizens of Anambra for victory as the state was very important to the APC, pointing out that a victory for the party in Anambra will help address the cries of marginalisation from the Southeast political zone.
- We must change the narrative in the south-east and we must start with Anambra because the APC represents the most viable root for any Southeast person to the presidency of this country, he said.
- Oyegun said that the party recognized the fact that the election will not be a bed of roses…adding that “if the APC can defeat an incumbent President, we can also defeat an incumbent governor, we have done it before in Kogi and Ondo state.”
- Oyegun welcomed the former Deputy National Chairman to the Ali Modu Sherrif led-faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the party, saying his presence in the committee showed that he has a lot to contribute to the development of the party.
- Abubakar said even though the task given to them was daunting, the members recognized the fact that it was necessary to win the Anambra governorship election and bring the zone into mainstream national politics.
- He said the party should capitalise on the age of the candidate to campaign for a generational shift, adding that his victory will give the youth a say.
- The leader of the party in the state and Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige assured that all the people of the state will work with the committee to ensure victory for the party in the election.
Omoleye Omoruyi… an apprentice web/game developer, novelist, sensitive to happenings in the world. Meet him @Lord_rickie on Twitter/Instagram