#FreakAccident: Man electrocuted by PHCN high tension wire

by Isi Esene

A middle aged man was electrocuted on Monday in the Woji area of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, when a high tension wire snapped and fell on him. The man was said to have gone to visit his wife who sells oranges under the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) facility.

The incident, which reportedly happened around 7:45pm in the evening, caused serious panic with passers-by fleeing the vicinity due to the loud sound and sparks generated from the fatal contact.

A witness to the unfortunate incident said the man died instantly but his wife was injured and taken to the hospital.

“The sound from the wire was so loud. Many people ran in different directions in order not to be electrocuted. At that time the incident occurred, only very few people saw the lifeless body of the man,” the eyewitness said.

The public relations officer of the PHCN Port Harcourt, John Onyi, confirmed the incident saying traders have been warned several times not to conduct business activities under its facilities.

“A wire snapped from the high tension and fell on the ground. A man who came to visit his wife that was selling oranges under the high tension was electrocuted. That is our preliminary finding.

“We put off the 11-KV feeder when we got wind of the unfortunate incident. But we have repeatedly warned traders to stop selling their wares under high tension electric facilities.”

The victims corpse was later picked up by the police and deposited at the mortuary.

Leave a reply

Your e-mail address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail