Nigeria, others commence operations to rescue abducted Chibok schoolgirls

_74256176_74256175
File photo

by Akan Ido

Mike Omeri, the Coordinator of the National Information Centre has announced the commencement of operations to rescue the missing schoolgirls kidnapped a month ago in Chibok, Borno State.

Omeri, who is also the Director General of the National Orientation Agency however refused to give further information on the efforts being taken towards rescuing the missing girls.

Omeri who was speaking yesterday in company with information officers of some security agencies and ministries also confirmed the arrest of the alleged mastermind of the Nyanya bombing, Aminu Sadik Ogwuche is Sudan.

He said work has already begun on the extradition of the suspect who was apprehended by the Interpol.

He said, “We wish to authoritatively confirm to you the interception and subsequent arrest of one of the two suspects that were declared wanted, Aminu Sadik Ogwuche, whom we said fled to Sudan. He actually did; he fled to Sudan.

“Ogwuche had been declared wanted by the authorities in Nigeria for his involvement in the bombings in Nyanya. The efforts of Interpol, the Nigerian Police and Department of State Security Services have led to his arrest.

“At present, security authorities are working to see to his extradition to Nigeria. Once information is available on his arrival, we will let you know.”

Marilyn Ogar, the Deputy Director, Public Relations at the State Security Services, had on Tuesday explained that Ogwuche was released during his first arrest in 2011 because of pressure from his father, a retired colonel of the Nigerian army, lawyers and the human rights community.

She had said, “He was arrested in 2011 when he came into the country from the United Kingdom. That was based on information that we had that he was involved in some terrorist activities. He was with us.

“We carried out further investigation. We started having lots of queries and enquiries from his father, the lawyers, and especially the human rights activists saying we were depriving him of his human rights.

“We had to make his father take him on bail based on the fact that when we need him, he would release him to us. And of course, when he was mentioned as one of those that had masterminded the Nyanya bombings, we went straight ahead to ask the father to release him to us. And of course, the father couldn’t produce him. So, based on that, we had to work with other sister agencies and we were told he is in Sudan.

“He was declared wanted. Because all security forces are working as one, the police had to do what they had to do and today the Interpol came in. So we can never be overwhelmed. We are dealing with terrorism. Even investigation itself is quite consuming.”

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail