Nine individuals have approached the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to claim the reward for pointing the agency towards the N13 billion discovered in an Ikoyi apartment.
- The EFCC had said the whistleblower is already a millionaire and was being counselled on how to spend his reward.
- The whistleblower however raised an alarm that he has not been paid his percentage.
- In its response, the EFCC stated that it was not responsible for payment of rewards to whistleblowers.
What is happening:
In a petition published by PRNigeria on Tuesday, the number of persons laying claim to the reward had increased to nine.
The ‘whistleblowers’ wrote the petition to the Attorney-General of the Federation, claiming that EFCC officials are attempting to shortchange them by introducing outsiders.
“Our clients informed us sometime in December 2016 that three (3) of them voluntarily walked into the office of the EFCC at 15A Awolowo Road Ikoyi, Lagos and gave vital information that led to the recovery of over N13 billion at the Ikoyi Towers, Lagos,” the petition read.
“Upon subsequent visit to give a detailed information as required by the commission to raid the tower, they were told if the operation was successful, 5% of the amount recovered will be their take-home within 72 hours of recovery, they were also cautioned that if the information happened to be false, then they will definitely be in trouble which the three mentioned above accepted because they were sure of their facts.
“That when the operation was carried out, it was successful but since then they have not received any commendation by the commission, let alone give any reward as stated even though the EFCC have their names and phone numbers”.
The petitioners said Samaila Muhammed, head of EFCC operations said the number of whistleblowers had increased to nine.
According to PRNigeria, Wilson Uwujaren, spokesman of the EFCC said, “All will be done to make sure that the right persons are paid accordingly.”