Just 48 hours after the Joint Task Force (JTF) launched an assault against Boko Haram in Maiduguri, engaging the religious sect in a gun fight for hours, there was another series of bomb explosions in the Borno State capital. At least seven people have died as a result of the explosions.
In the first explosion which occurred between 7am and 8.15am around Gidan Dambe area of Maiduguri, only one life, that of the suicide bomber, was lost. Witnesses say, the improvised explosive device (IED) which he was trying to plant, exploded accidentally, killing him in the process.
The second blast, however, was more deadly and took place at the Borno State Police Headquarters where a suicide bomber struck, killing six persons, two policemen and four civilians.
A police source said the suicide car bomber believed to be a member of the dreaded Boko Haram sect attempted to force his way into the state headquarters through the main gate with a car laden with explosive devices.
The source said the bomb went off while policemen on guard at the gate were preventing the bomber from entering. Unfortunately, although the bomber was killed, the explosive still went off.
Friday’s attack is the second time a suicide bomber attack would target the state police headquarters. The first attempt was made last year in August. It is also the second blast in the month of June, after that of June 2 in Bauchi. Boko Haram claimed responsibility for that attack.
A Joint Task Force official, who later spoke to newsmen concerning the earlier blast, said that the IED was concealed in a bag and kept under a public shed and exploded while the suicide bomber was trying to plant it.
“There was an explosion in an area of Maiduguri this morning and our men were immediately deployed to the area,” Col. Victor Ebhaleme, the field operations officer of the task force told newsmen.
“They found a man we believe to be a member of Boko Haram, dismembered by the explosion. Preliminary investigation has shown that he was killed when he was trying to plant the device.”