President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, November 7, was received at a joint session of members of the National Assembly.
The Senate President, Bukola Saraki started by thanking Nigerians for not “playing politics”, putting country first during President Buhari’s time away.
“We must reassess the relationship btw oil & our economy. Oil prices are gradually inching up, but that is no reason for complacency”, he said.
Saraki added, “We must grow our economy away from oil – as well as the need to increase non-oil revenue generation and collection“.
He also expressed joy that the 2018 budget is coming earlier than usual. “This is a welcome development“, he said.
Highlights from President Buhari’s speech:
- President Buhari, on his part, said his administration is committed to the ease of doing business reforms.
- He said the administration shall continue to develop infrastructure across the country.
- Nigeria should be assured that the administration is committed to doing all it can to solve the problem of the embarrassing power situation in the country.
- Sometimes, doing the right thing takes sacrifice.
- Agriculture played a crucial role in Nigeria’s exit from recession.
- “I assure investors in Agriculture that the menace of smuggling would be handled decisively.“
- 2017 budget late approval disturbed the implementation of the budget.
- 2018 budget is a budget of consolidation.
- N2.442 trillion oil revenue is projected for 2018.
- All ongoing projects will be completed.
- The old Nigeria is gradually disappearing.
- The proposed budget has a total sum of N8.612 trillion.
Omoleye Omoruyi… an apprentice web/game developer, novelist, sensitive to happenings in the world. Meet him @Lord_rickie on Twitter/Instagram