Tragedy: Generator fumes kill newly wed couple, one other

by ‘Jola Sotubo

An abrupt end has come to the newly created matrimony of a young couple in Cross River State as they have lost their lives after inhaling poisonous, carbon monoxide-laden generator fumes.

Bassey Effiong (27) and his wife, Glory (21) were reportedly killed by the fumes in their yet to be completed abode in Ikot Omin, a suburb of Calabar,  the state capital. Also lost to the fumes was the bride’s younger sister Emem who was just 16 years old.

The incident reportedly occurred on Sunday night, when the couple  turned on their generating set and placed it on the corridor close to the  room,  where they slept but fumes from the  generating set  were said to have  subsequently gained entry into the room in large quantity and suffocated the couple along with Emem.

They were discovered dead several hours later by a naval officer,  David Ekanem, Bassey’s uncle, who said he went there after he called Bassey’s mobile number several times without response and on getting there at  5 pm, Monday, he met the tragic sight.

“I knocked several times on the door but there was no answer, so I had to force the door open. It was then I saw my nephew and his wife along with the young girl lying dead,” the Naval officer said.

Spokesman of the Cross River State Police Command,  Mr Hogan Bassey,  said the matter was reported by the naval officer and the bodies evacuated to the  Infectious Disease Hospital  mortuary, Edgerly Road,  Calabar.

 

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

One comment

  1. Wat a tragic, may their souls R. I. P. People shuld pls, b very cautious of all poisonous materials and substances around them.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail