by Lekan Olanrewaju
It goes without saying that pretty much everyone these days is an entrepeneur in some way (in their heads, at the very least). Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but almost everyone has one big idea or the other, something that’s gonna shake up the world and revolutionise the way we -insert preferred activity here- .
Seeing as we live in a real world and not utopia, there are always several obstacles. Remember this article on the feasibility, or lack thereof, of building instagram in Nigeria? Majority of the issues raised had to do with efficiency of services in the country. I had a discussion with a friend about that post, and entrepreneurship in general, and he raised one other issue; funding. Now it can be argued that (and I did argue) that Instagram wouldn’t exactly have been the most expensive thing to start. But moving out of that box, before you can think of building your own start up and selling it for a billion dollars to the owner of another major business (which was a small startup at one point), you first of all have to get it off the ground, somehow. Some ideas may require more funding than others, but capital is necessary, regardless.
The great guys at MTN know this very well, and have decided to help a lucky few out.
Peep more deets below
In its continued commitment to facilitating the richer life in all its ramifications, MTN, unarguably the nation’s widest telecommunications network, is offering a first of its kind in terms of aid and assistance to start-ups and small businesses. Tagged the MTN Budding Entrepreneur Business Grant, its aim is to see the dreams of still budding businesses come to full bloom and fruition. The grant sum which comes to the tune of 30 million naira will be given to the 3 best ideas at the MTN Leadership seminar which is to take place from the 24th -27th April 2012 in Lagos and Port-Harcourt with the brightest idea of them all also getting a 6 month mentorship program with Dr Farrah Gray – world renowned businessman, investor, philanthropist, author, syndicated columnist, and motivational speaker.
- Participation is open to all Registered MTN customers under the age of 40 as at 30/04/12.
- To register, participants are required to fill in the application form and send their business ideas via the www.mtnonline.com/leadership.
- The business ideas will be screened and shortlisted participants will be invited for presentation before a panel which will sit at Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt. Shortlisted participants will be contacted for the live presentations.
- The best 12 ideas will be shortlisted.
- The 12 finalists will be assisted to package their business plan in partnership with credible associations.
- Dr. Farrah Gray will then review the 12 business ideas and pick the winning ideas
- The winner of the best idea will receive N20m and 6 Months mentoring from Dr. Farrah Gray.
- The next 2 best ideas will receive N5m each to start up and or enhance their business.
Well, here’s your chance!