by Sobiya N.Moghul
Honey deeply penetrates the skin’s top layer, unclogs pores and sloughs off impurities.
1. Honey is rich in humectant compounds. This helps retain the moisture content in skin and restore its elasticity, making skin supple.
2. It helps remove dead skin cells and prevent the appearance of wrinkles.
3. The antibacterial and antimicrobial property of honey helps prevent the growth of certain bacteria and so it is used to treat wounds, cuts, burns and abrasions.
4. Honey helps clean wounds, reduces odour and pus, lessens pain and promotes speedy healing.
5. Honey is used to treat damaged skin and regenerate new skin cells. It also effectively cures eczema, dermatitis and other skin disorders.
6. Owing to the potent anti-fungal properties in honey, it can help cureinfections like athlete’s foot and jock itch.
7. Honey is loaded with natural antioxidants, which help protect the skin from ultraviolet damage.
8. Over exposure to the sun causes skin damage and premature aging. Honey can also be used as a sunscreen to protect the skin from the sun.
9. Honey deeply penetrates the skin’s top layer, unclogs pores and sloughs off impurities. Thus, it helps fight infections and curb acne problems.
10. Honey is a good skin moisturiser and effectively tones and firms up the skin.
11. The application of honey on chapped and wrinkled lips will make them wonderfully smoother and softer.
12. Honey is composed of sugars like glucose and fructose and minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium chlorine, sulphur, iron and phosphate.
13. Honey contains vitamins B1, B2, C, B6, B5 and B3, all of which vary according to the qualities of the nectar and pollen. Copper, iodine, and zinc also exist in honey in small quantities.
14. Carbohydrates in the form of glucose and fructose supply the body with energy, which can boost endurance and reduce muscle fatigue.
15. Honey helps relieve morning sickness.
16. Regular consumption of honey will increase calcium absorption and haemoglobin count helping to fight anaemia.
17. Honey also helps lower total cholesterol while increasing HDL (good) cholesterol.
18. It can also be used to treat respiratory tract infections owing to its expectorant, soothing and demulcent properties.
19. As honey helps modulate the immune system, it prevents the recurrence of infections.
20. Honey plays a pivotal role in managing obesity. It helps accelerate metabolism, which in turn helps the body burn more fat.
Read this article in Times of India
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija