8-month-old baby, 90-year-old die in Lagos fire incidents

Separate fire incidents in Festac Town, Surulere and Badagry areas of Lagos State have left three people dead.

In Festac Town, an 8-month-old baby, Jessica Ifeanyichukwu was killed by a fire which started at about 9pm on Sunday at Hakeem Agboola Crescent.

Her mother was downstairs trying to put on the generator when the fire incident happened.

It was learnt that the cause of the fire which started from the Ifeanyichukwus’ apartment was still a mystery.

 

The landlady, who gave her name as Bassey, said the source of the fire was yet to be ascertained.

She said, “The woman came out around 8.30pm from her apartment to start the generator. She and her husband stayed upstairs and she carried the generator downstairs. She tried to start the generator three times, but it did not work.

“She went back to her apartment. Later, she came down to switch on the bigger generator. When she returned to the room, the entire apartment was already in flames.

“The couple has left since the incident happened. Nobody knows the cause of the fire. The police have not found out anything. The fire also affected a section of my apartment.  What made the situation worse was that the woman’s husband was not at home.”

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, confirmed the incident.

She said, “The fire was put out by a team of policemen and the state firefighters. The baby was consumed by the fire, while the injured mother is receiving treatment in a hospital. The cause of the fire and the value of the property destroyed have yet to be known.”

An 80-year-old man, Godwin Oyia, lost his life on Aborishade Close, Surulere after fire engulfed his residence.

It was learnt that the fire which started at 10am on Tuesday, was caused by an overheated boiling ring.

An official of the Lagos State Fire Service confirmed the cause of the fire incident.

He said, “The house is a one storeyed-building. The fire started from one of the rooms on the first floor. We learnt that a tenant, who was using a boiling ring, left it unattended to. After the water he was boiling dried up, there was an explosion.

“The man who died lived with his granddaughter. When the fire started, neighbours rescued the girl, but when they returned for the man, the fire had aggravated. We saw the man’s charred remains in the last room after the fire was put out.”

 

The incident in Badagry led to the death of a 90-year-old woman, Mrs. Kayode who had lighted a local lamp before going to bed.

The lamp reportedly fell on the bed, setting the house on fire.

It was learnt that the victim suffered burns and was rushed to the hospital where she died.

A source said, “The incident happened around 8pm on Monday on Market Road, Badagry. The woman lighted a local lamp, which fell on her bed. She suffered serious burns and was rushed to a hospital, where she died.”

The director of the state fire service, Fadipe, said firefighters rescued the victim alive.

“She died at the hospital because of the smoke,” he added.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail