Violence continued in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, as gunmen, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect, attacked the military post attached to telecom masts and a primary school in Bolori ward, killing a soldier and injuring another in an exchange of gunfire that lasted for half an hour on Friday.
According to an eyewitness, the gunmen ambushed the soldiers guarding the GSM telecom masts and school, before opening fire on them. The shoot-out at the Chezcon area lasted for 30 minutes, forcing residents to flee. The area was later cordoned off by the Joint Task Force (JTF).
He said one of the soldiers was killed, while the injured one was carried away in one of the patrol vehicles to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) for treatment of gunshot wounds sustained in the clash.
The Guardian also leant that the roads and streets leading to the Area, Federal Low-cost Housing Estate, and the Ibrahim Taiwo Police Station, that was attacked and repelled last week, were however, cordoned off to prevent further killings.
Although there was no official confirmation of the killing from the spokesman of JTF, Lt. Col Sagir Musa, a relation of the slain soldier said, in a telephone chat, that “the Military authorities had contacted us on the sad news of our brother’s killing in Maiduguri. The JTF said Mohammed (my brother) died in Maiduguri and we are awaiting further details from them.”
He said he was not certain on the circumstances surrounding the death, adding that: “they did not actually tell us how he died…they only said he died yesterday (Friday).”
When contacted to confirm the Friday attack, JTF spokesman, Lt.Col Musa, in an SMS to The Guardian, simply said: “Not true.”