by ‘Ifreke Inyang
We are still making our predictions, for what promises to be yet another spectacular season of football. We’ve already brought you our top 5 signings of the summer and the 5 players that will likely win the Golden Boot in the YNaija EPL Countdown.
So come May 2013, which teams will occupy the top five positions on the league table? Yes, we know the usual suspects from Manchester and London will lead the way. But how do we think they will finish specifically? We take a guess.
Here’s our top five teams, in descending order:
1. Manchester City: Yes, we are sticking with City to win the league again. The reason is not far-fetched. They have kept the core of their team – Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero, Vincent Kompany – who won them the title last season. They have already laid down the marker, defeating Chelsea 3-1 in the Community Shield. And our smart money is on them to trounce all comers to the title again.
2. Manchester United: We expect Manchester United, to come a close second this season. It might not necessarily be that nail-biting finale, that kept us glued to our seats last season. Sir Alex Ferguson’s men were not too impressive in the last campaign, and they finished second simply because other results went their way.
3. Arsenal: Our choice of Arsenal finishing third will shock a lot of folks. Yes, they have lost their talisman, Robin van Persie, to bitter rivals, United. And yes, Alex Song, might be the next out of the Emirates’ exit door. But the truth is: Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League for the last 16 years. And that is despite the fact that names like Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry, Cesc Fabregas, etc have left.
4. Chelsea: The Blues haven’t looked anything close to special, in all their pre-season games. They have splashed good money on Eden Hazard from Lille, Oscar from Internaçional, Marko Marin from Werder Bremen, etc. But all those creative players have looked lightweight and shocked at their new surroundings. We expect them to just about make the top four.
5. Tottenham Hotspurs: This was a tough choice between Newcastle, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspurs. But our gut feeling is, that Andre Villas-Boas, will at least pull the White Hart Lane, close to touching distance of the Champions League places.
Do you agree with these choices?