FACE Africa’s mission is to bring clean and safe drinking water to communities in Sub-Saharan Africa and has been in operation in Liberia for the last seven years providing WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) services to remote, last-mile communities. Announced at the gala, FACE Africa will expand its work to Nigeria this year, where more than 60 million people lack access to clean water and 45,000 Nigerian children under the age of 5, die each year from diarrhea caused by poor sanitation and unsafe water.
Thanks to the help of more than 350 supporters and sponsors, FACE Africa raised more than US $100,000 at the Gala to continue its work in Liberia, where it has succeeded at bringing clean water and community health services to 100,000 people, and to start work in Nigeria.
The Gala also brought attention to the beauty and diversity of African culture and celebrates the accomplishments of Africans making a difference in the diaspora.
Well-known change makers in attendance included:
- Broadway star and Gala host, Saycon Sengbloh (Eclipsed)
- Netflix star, Simone Missick (Marvel’s Luke Cage) and her husband, actor Dorian Missick
- Actress Deborah Ayorinde (role in upcoming film, Girl’s Trip and Marvel’s Luke Cage)
- New Pantene model, Demi Grace
- Sundial Brands (SheaMoisture) CEO, Richelieu Dennis
- Congolese/NY rapper and Jay-Z protege, Young Paris
- Ghanaian/Nigerian rapper, Mr. Eazi
- Zhane songstress, Renee Neufville
- Fashion journalist, Claire Sulmers
Please see photos here photos of African tastemakers and change makers in attendance at the 8th Annual FACE Africa’s WASH Gala for Clean Water.