Dr. Obiageli ‘Oby’ Ezekwesili, Nigeria’s former Minister of Education, and former World Bank Vice President was pushed forward a number of laudable initiatives while serving in the former President Olusegun Obasanjo administration.
The Unity College Private Public Partnership Initiative Programme was one of the projects she vigorously pursued in the administration and whose merits can not be pushed aside.
Below is the Unity College PPP Initiative Programme Proposal as presented to Council on the 10th of January, 2007.
A brief overview:
- provide total education
- Promote mutual understanding and tolerance amongst people from varying ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds
- entrench the values of patriotism and national unity
- Promote the pursuit of excellence in achievement and moral virtues
- A shared focus by all stakeholders on a clear and specific vision and mission
- Public investment in education, provided under clear, specific and measurable indices
- Private funding to support public investment and ensure sustainability of operation
- Independent operation within a strong governance framework
- Strict accountability for academic and financial performance to:
- The schools’ internal governing body
- The Government regulator
Follow @ynaija on Twitter