Two term Governor of Ondo and Presidential candidate of the Zenith Labour Party (ZLP), Dr Olusegun Mimiko, has has formally announced his withdrawal from the 2019 Presidential race.
Mimiko who made this known on Thursday,at a meeting of his party’s national leaders and party faithfuls from the 18 Local Government Areas of Ondo, said he would now be running as the candidate of the ZLP for Ondo Central Senatorial district in next year’s general election.
“I took the decision in the ultimate interest of our party, the Zenith Labour Party,” he said.
Similarly, the ZLP candidate for the Senatorial district and former Commissioner for Works under the Mimiko administration, Gboye Adegbenro, has confirmed he is stepping down for the former governor “in the interest of the Zenith Labour Party and our dear state.”
“I am convinced that the candidacy of our leader, the former governor of Ondo State, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, will better serve the interest of the district now and the overall goal of the south-west. Mimiko is a Better Candidate whose national and international exposure and achievements as a two-term Governor, will further add value to the state and the country at large,” he said in a statement issued on Thursday.
“I remain a firm believer and supporter of my brother and leader, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, who invited me into partisan politics and who has always provided selfless leadership,” he added.
The Zenith Labour Party (ZLP) had earlier elected Dr Mimiko as its presidential candidate for the 2019 Presidential election, at its October 6 national convention in Abuja, following the former governor’s declaration for the seat on September 13.