by Azeez Adeniyi
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said 1.7 million candidates registered for the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The examination body said the figure is the highest in its 39-year existence.
In a statement on Sunday, Fabian Benjamin, head, media and publicity, said: “We registered a number that has never been done in the entire 39 years of the existence of JAMB within a time frame Nigerians were sceptical about.”
“The highest we have ever had was 1.5 million, this is record breaking. We will look at the system so far and make adjustments where necessary to ensure a full proof process of registration and examination.
“We are always sure of our systems and will continue to expand our frontiers of thinking to transform the Board to an agency that Nigerians will be proud of.
“The disclosure of the actual number of candidates registered is a clear invitation for the public to know what the Board has realised from the sale for this year and we are not perturbed because we have nothing to hide in our dealings. We are determined to make Nigerians proud of us.”
He urged Nigerians to support the agency, while stating that it would do its best.
“Examination is all about transperency and an agency that conducts such a competitive examination must be above board in all its life cycle. As we conduct the 2017 examination beginning from Saturday May 13, we call on all Nigerians to give us the needed support. We will do our very best and where they notice challenges, we will work without hesitation to ensure that it is corrected immediately for candidates to have a smooth examination.
“Nigerians should note that there could be one or two challenges in some centres; but the most important thing is our ability to urgently address such when they rear their face. We use this opportunity to call for patriotism.”