by Olorunwa Lawal
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has written a letter to FIFA, intimating it of the latest development in the Glass House.
The Secretary general of the federation, Musa Amadu, who made this known to journalists on Monday evening said that the letter was necessary as to inform the World Football Governing body that the country was in conformity of its directives as stated on September.
FIFA, had on September 3 asked Nigeria to re-instate the Aminu Maigari-led NFF board, or risk suspension on September 8, after it declared illegal the August 26 election which produced, Chris Giwa, as NFF Chairman.
Amadu revealed that few members of the Maigari-led NFF had returned and worked in the football secretariat to office unhindered.
“I can confirm to you that I did write a letter just now to FIFA which I copied CAF informing them about the event of today.
“The development is in line with FIFA directives that we be allowed to come to the secretariat and do our work unhindered.
“Also those persons claiming to be elected did not come to the office just to allow us to do our work and I think at the end of the day reason has prevailed. I believe that the event of today will be cemented and peace will return to the Nigeria football,” Amadu said.
The NFF official explained that his reason for copying CAF was to ensure that Nigeria’s second AFCON qualifying match against South Africa went unhindered in Cape Town on Wednesday, September 10.
He pointed out that Maigari and his board members was expected back anytime from now to ensure election into the board was concluded Sept. 25.
“From the letter we got from FIFA on Sept. 3, it was stated in clear terms that the Maigari-led board will preside over two emergency congresses.
“The first will be to elect members of the Electoral Committee and the Appeals Committee as well as another congress leading to election within the shortest possible time.
“This is to enable the next NFA board to carry out their mandate from 2014 to 2018,” Amadu said.
It will be recalled that in July this year, FIFA Emergency Committee suspended the NFF on account of government interference in the running of the football federation, when Maigari was forced out of his post by a court ruling.
The ex-NFF president had been reinstated, but was voted out of office by the NFF’s executive committee a few days later on grounds of financial misappropriation, misapplication and maladministration. However, Fifa did not accept this and he was once again back as president until August 26th when the a new election was held that produced Chris Giwa as the new president.
FIFA rejected the result and asked that the Maigari-led NFF board be re-instated on or before the 8th of September, 2014 or risk being suspended. Had the ban been implemented, Nigeria’s participation in the African Cup of Nations qualifying series would’ve been terminated.