The National Chairman, National Caretaker Committee, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Ahmed Makarfi, has restated the party’s commitment to honouring its zoning agreement.
He stated this on Tuesday in Abuja in a meeting with Northern leaders and elders of PDP to harmonise the region’s position on the zoning arrangement for the 2019 general elections and the party’s convention in December.
- Makarfi urged party members to respect the zoning arrangement.
- “I wish to emphasize that the Supreme Court in affirming the authenticity of our caretaker committee has also reaffirmed the supremacy of decisions of the convention.”
- “One of the decisions taken at the convention is that of the composition of the caretaker committee and that of zoning of the presidency and party chairman.”
- “As for the presidency, it is clear that there is no confusion, but I want us to exercise caution so that we will not misinterpret what was said at the convention.“
- The chairman called for constructive engagement among the zones on the zoning arrangement in a way that nobody would be denied his fundamental human rights.
What this means:
- The governor of Ekiti, Ayodele Fayose might not be able to contest on the platform of the PDP.